machinist - [machinist] Trav-a-dial replacement Lens (crystal) and Foam Wiper?

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Trav-a-dial replacement Lens (crystal) and Foam Wiper?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 00:54:33 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/trav-dial-replacement-lens-crystal-foam-wiper-343862/
Trav-a-dial replacement Lens (crystal) and Foam Wiper?

  1. catalytic is offline Aluminum
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Boston, Los Angeles, and Cleveland
    Posts
    244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    23

    I have seen a few threads here where people have mentioned sourcing replacement lenses (crystals) and/or foam wipers for for trav-a-dials. Buytrak.com sells a few, though one has to buy them in packs of 5, and it would be great to get a cheap one-off the way one can for most dial indicators & watches.

    However, there appear to be 4 styles:

    -A domed lens for the early 'silver bullet' GB-42 model
    -A domed lens for the black 6A model with a knob (maybe same as above?)
    -A flat lens with a lip for the black 6A model with a knob
    -A flat (larger diameter?) lens for the 7A and 7S newer models with no knob

    Can anyone tell me whether they've found a good replacement for one of these models, and which model trav-a-dial it works for?

    Also, has anyone found a good type of foam to replace the foam wipers with?

    Yea, I know, I should switch to DRO's yada yada... I actually have, except for one machine where I really don't want a big clunky screen in the way.

  2. #2
    jancollc is online now Hot Rolled
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    893
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    148
    Likes (Received)
    551

    I have the silver bullet, and some replacement domed lenses. Box says it came from the Clausing Service Center.

    I think SWI or Ebay are your choices. You'd prolly come out ahead buying a 5-pack and ebaying off the ones you don't want to keep...

    Don't know about wipers- might have to just make them.

  3. #3
    Ray Behner's Avatar
    Ray Behner is offline Diamond
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brunswick Oh USA
    Posts
    4,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4005
    Likes (Received)
    2435

    Years ago I found a certain size lens from oxy/acet torch regulators would fit perfect. Try the weld shop.
  4. Likes SteveBausch liked this post
  5. #4
    catalytic is offline Aluminum
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Boston, Los Angeles, and Cleveland
    Posts
    244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Behner View Post
    Years ago I found a certain size lens from oxy/acet torch regulators would fit perfect. Try the weld shop.
    Thanks for the reply Ray. I saw your note about this from years ago in an old post, too, which is part of what prompted me to ask here. Do you happen to remember what kind of trav-a-dial this worked for?

  6. #5
    rke[pler's Avatar
    rke[pler is offline Diamond
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Peralta, NM USA
    Posts
    5,291
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    35
    Likes (Received)
    271

    Quote Originally Posted by catalytic View Post
    Also, has anyone found a good type of foam to replace the foam wipers with?
    Also buytrak:

    https://www.buytrak.com/product.php?...5&cat=6&page=3

  7. #6
    Ray Behner's Avatar
    Ray Behner is offline Diamond
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brunswick Oh USA
    Posts
    4,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4005
    Likes (Received)
    2435

    Quote Originally Posted by catalytic View Post
    Thanks for the reply Ray. I saw your note about this from years ago in an old post, too, which is part of what prompted me to ask here. Do you happen to remember what kind of trav-a-dial this worked for?
    Boy, that's a tuffy. I'd have to say it would be the bigger sized dial. Pretty lame answer I know, but that's been a while ago. Shoot. go to the weld store and give it a try.

  8. #7
    mister honey's Avatar
    mister honey is offline Stainless
    Feb 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1009
    Likes (Received)
    154

  9. #8
    SBLatheman's Avatar
    SBLatheman is online now Titanium
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South Bend, In
    Posts
    2,352
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    116
    Likes (Received)
    185

    Smile

    Years ago I bought the remaining inventory of a local machine tool dealer. Included in that inventory were some trav-a-dial parts. I have several of the lenses and foam wipers in the picture. I'm not sure what they are worth , but are for sale.
    The lenses are flat, not domed.
    Ted
    Latheman2@aol.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fullsizerender.jpg

  10. #9
    daryl bane is offline Titanium
    Mar 2002
    Location
    dallas,tx
    Posts
    2,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    361
    Likes (Received)
    347

    I think Hager no longer repairs but you can still get some parts as well as SWI.

  11. #10
    jims's Avatar
    jims is offline Hot Rolled
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sonora , Calif
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    106
    Likes (Received)
    111

    Think the company that made trav-a-dial is still in business. Look up Southwestern industries inc. if I remember they are near Los Angeles or Gardena Ca. Google SWI trav-a-dial. They still sell parts

  • [machinist] Trav-a-dial replacement Lens (crystal) and Foam Wiper?, Lawrence London, 12/18/2017