machinist - [machinist] Bench grinder recommendations wanted - Page 2

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Bench grinder recommendations wanted - Page 2
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 02:28:10 -0400

Bench grinder recommendations wanted - Page 2
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/bench-grinder-recommendations-wanted-339458/index2.html

In an automotive shop, a grinder with a quality wire wheel is one of the most used machines. We use them up and replace regularly. Buy the most expensive you can find and they're cheaper in the long run; plus eating Chicom wire is no fun.

Second that. I use both scotchbrite and wire wheels--the wire wheels are more effective on irregular surfaces that might chew up the expensive scotchbrite wheels. The wire bristles are more effective in getting into crevices, serrations, etc.

I like the very fine wire SS wheels. The one I'm using now has bristles that are 1.5" long, flexible, crimped, .006" diameter. McMaster # 4842A38

I still like scotchbrite for some flat surfaces.

  • [machinist] Bench grinder recommendations wanted - Page 2, Lawrence London, 09/01/2017