machinist - [machinist] today I went horizontal (milling) - VIDEO

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] today I went horizontal (milling) - VIDEO
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 00:23:02 -0400

today I went horizontal (milling) - VIDEO
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/today-i-went-horizontal-milling-video-320374/

Bought a Schaublin 13 not too long ago.. missing the overarm support;
Decided to do something about it.

I'll be honest, a three inch 18T cutter going for the work -- kinda scary.
My money would've been on it pulling the work right out of the vise.

Is climb cutting done in horizontal? Just curious, as I shudder to even think
about it. But.. conventional: the cut came out with a mirror finish.

5/8" cutter, 18T, about 0.4" DOC, 60 rpm and about 0.5 IPM.
Wanted to go deeper but I realized I'd run out of headroom in my setup.

By the numbers I still have some HP to spare -- experimentation to commence.
It's my understanding that a horizontal cutter should move material pretty
darn fast -- as it is, my roughing end mills put a 0.4" DOC @ 0.5 IPM to bed.

At any rate, fun project and I have a lot more form-cutting arbor mills than
I do end mills. Looking forward to putting them to work.

Horizontal Milling - Building the Overarm Support - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw7Mwd6ey6g

  • [machinist] today I went horizontal (milling) - VIDEO, Lawrence London, 05/19/2016