machinist - [machinist] Good resources for a beginning machinist?

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Good resources for a beginning machinist?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 11:14:54 -0500

Good resources for a beginning machinist?
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/good-resources-beginning-machinist-314911/

Machine Tool Technology | Dunwoody College of Technology

http://www.haascnc.com/training.asp#gsc.tab=0

or check out a local tech college

This is my collection of select machine shop and welding YouTube channels. Many of these have their own
list of favored machining channels.
See especially:

That Lazy Machinist https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOf...s7GJB3h9VieY1Q

Abom https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...Ve7pH3R6C3Gcng

Tom's Techniques https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqR...YXOlpqiN8C0dIg and forum: Metalworking Fun MetalworkingFun Forum

Welding Tips and Tricks https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqq...j4-UApS_m_6mPw

The Tool and Die Guy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClN...TveXJYl4f-ZMqA

Russian machinist, Виктор Леонтьев https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnJ...vfLsKq2ZSO8oGQ

SuburbanTool Inc https://www.youtube.com/user/SuburbanToolInc

Stefan Gotteswinter https://www.youtube.com/user/syyl

Metal Tips and Tricks https://www.youtube.com/user/jigandtoolguy

Lawrence London - Machine Shop and Welding - Channel Subscriptions
https://www.youtube.com/user/lfljven...ist&shelf_id=2

<>

1. Get your copy of "Machinery's Handbook" and use it.

2. Get a good book on geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, if you don't already.

3. Get a copy of James Harvey's "Machine Shop Trade Secrets".

<>

I've recently discovered https://www.hathitrust.org/ , and https://archive.org/
They are digital library projects and they have issues of American Machinist, and Machinery, and Canadian Machinist dating back to the 1880's as well as a myriad of other publications on every subject imaginable for free view, or download. Everything they have is public domain (prior to 1923 I think). Some of it is arcane of course, but if you want a foundation,I've never found better or more fascinating reading.
Just be sure to type only a publication title, or subject into the search window without descriptors like (magazine etc.) or it wont give results.