machinist - [machinist] Insert cutter versus fly cutter & fly cutter design

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Insert cutter versus fly cutter & fly cutter design
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 23:26:50 -0500

xZakt Engineering - the 22 year old shop owner. what!!??? - Page 2
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/member-and-shop-photos/xzakt-engineering-22-year-old-shop-owner-what-306186/index2.html

First was a guy wanted a forged steel anvil resurfaced. Before putting it up on the mill, I had to make some sort of cutter to skim the top. I didn't want to use a normal insert cutter, due to the cutting forces involved would of possibly thrown it off the table ( worst case scenario). So settled on making a big fly cutter ( I know I know, I don't like fly cutters much either ) from a bit of 55mm diameter K1045 and an old SECO 20mm shank turning tool. Kinda copied Don Bailey's Suburban Tool idea of cutting a shallow slot along the top of the turning tool so it can be adjusted and the tool doesn't fall out. Smart thinking Don, your a legend mate and your videos are great!

  • [machinist] Insert cutter versus fly cutter & fly cutter design, Lawrence London, 12/13/2015