machinist - [machinist] Trepanning and Trepanning Tool, single & multi point, annular cutter

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Trepanning and Trepanning Tool, single & multi point, annular cutter
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 12:32:05 -0400

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/topic-meaning-trepanning-trepanning-tool-310932/
(quoted reply)

Trepanning is also known as "face grooving" when done on a lathe. Trepanning refers to an operation producing a round hole where the center is not machined away. Annular cutters are multi-point trepanning tools, used in place of drills. Lathes often use single-point trepanning tools, similar to parting/grooving tools.

Face grooving

http://www.thinbit.com/images/products/dg_ext_fgrov.jpg

http://www.thinbit.com/images/products/gt_fgrov1.jpg

Trepanning - machining recommendations

Annular cutters can be used to produce certain face grooves/trepanning cuts, but single-point face grooving tools are more versatile.

I've always considered trepanning cuts to be one of the more difficult and costly lathe operations, so I generally try to avoid designing parts with those features.

Lastly, if you're having trouble googling something, try adding "machining" or "lathe" to the search terms. Eg. "trepanning lathe": https://www.google.com/search?q=trepanning+lathe

(quoted reply)

Trepanning Tooling
Val-Cut 8600 V6
trepanning_tool.jpg
Val-Cut 8600 V6 & Val-Cut 2000
valcut.jpg
Val-Cut Brochure (front side) showing 2000 mill or drill tooling
img020.jpg

Ray Behner's annular cutter slug release mechanism
raybehner-annular-cutter-slug-release-mechanism-1.jpgraybehner-annular-cutter-slug-release-mechanism-2.jpg

Val-Cut Brochure (opposite side) showing 8600 lathe tooling
img021.jpg

  • [machinist] Trepanning and Trepanning Tool, single & multi point, annular cutter, Lawrence London, 10/30/2015