machinist - [machinist] Tig welding texts and tutorials

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Tig welding texts and tutorials
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 11:32:18 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/tig-welding-texts-tutorials-280971/

  1. 02-26-2014, 06:18 PM #1
    AndyF is online now Stainless
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Phelps, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,375

    Default Tig welding texts and tutorials

    My youngest has started a unit in TIG in his Metal Trades BOCES class (vocational ed for the non-New Yorkers). Unfortunately, the instructor doesn't really know TIG (this is his first year teaching after working as a manufacturing engineer and machinist for about 30 years and he told me that he would be reading ahead to try to get ready for teaching this section). My son has asked if I can set up a work area for TIG in our farm shop. We have a 250A watercooled torch and can set it up with our Miller Shopmate 300CC/CV welder. I have even less hands-on experience than the instructor witht TIG. One of my sons can help him a little, but doesn't have a lot of experience with TIG as most of the welding we do is MIG. So, this is the background to the request - any recommendations for texts and/or video tutorials pitched to an entry level, but interested vocational student, to expand his knowledge and skill with TIG so that he can improve his skill level.
  2. 02-26-2014, 06:19 PM #2
    alskdjfhg's Avatar
    alskdjfhg is offline Hot Rolled
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    873

    This is not just TIG, but he does a lot of TIG.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqq...j4-UApS_m_6mPw
    Hope it helps.
  3. 02-26-2014, 06:45 PM #3
    ferretlegger is offline Plastic
    May 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    37

    Jody at Weldingtipsandtricks.com presents many excellent videos about TIG welding. Highly recommended. He also sells DVD packages of the videos. This is very good stuff.
    Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info

    Michael
    p.s. You can't teach TIG welding from a book.
  4. 02-26-2014, 06:49 PM #4
    Marty Comstock is offline Plastic
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Herkimer NY
    Posts
    40

    If you are ever on the other side of Utica, you are more than welcome to visit our shop, We teach sheet metal shaping seminars and hold a yearly open house event that everyone is welcome to. TIG wlding is a huge part of what we do, so we may be able to help. We also get lots pf sheetmetal scraps donated to our yearlies, so you may be able to go home with some for practice.

    Pop just loves showing folk new learnin stuff :-)
    Ray Behner likes this.
  5. 02-26-2014, 06:58 PM #5
    Uglydog is offline Plastic
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dayton, MN, USA
    Posts
    19

    Quote Originally Posted by ferretlegger View Post
    Jody at Weldingtipsandtricks.com presents many excellent videos about TIG welding. Highly recommended. He also sells DVD packages of the videos. This is very good stuff.
    Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info

    Michael
    p.s. You can't teach TIG welding from a book.
    Jody's stuff is definitely worth study!
    Also, consider checking out:

    https://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/gtawbook.pdf

    Handbook - Fundamentals

    There is alot of free stuff out there. Some of it is very good. Others not so much.
    It is sometimes difficult to sort truth from opinion.

    Daryl
    MN
  6. 02-26-2014, 08:05 PM #6
    omrc7771's Avatar
    omrc7771 is online now Hot Rolled
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wis. rauchle@ntd.net
    Posts
    691

    +++1 on Weldingtipsandtricks.com
    steve-l likes this.
  7. 02-26-2014, 08:14 PM #7
    kustomizingkid is online now Hot Rolled
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    690

    +1 on Jody's stuff! That said there is no secret to tig, just lots and lots of practice to make three limbs work at once. Takes a while to get there, and about a million tungsten. I remember the first time I realized I had welded half a day on the same tungsten hahaha.

    Make sure he never ever welds with a contaminated tungsten. Stopping to change/sharpen is a great asset in my opinion... It gets so annoying you try that much harder.
  8. 02-26-2014, 10:41 PM #8
    gbent's Avatar
    gbent is online now Diamond
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    4,473

    I personally think Oxy-Acetylene welding is a good practice for learning TIG welding. The hand movements are very similar. Learning with OA you never have to resharpen the tungsten. He won't be able to walk the cup with OA, but thats an advanced technique anyway.
    SND and Ray Behner like this.
  9. 02-26-2014, 11:12 PM #9
    bosleyjr's Avatar
    bosleyjr is online now Diamond
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SE PA, Philly
    Posts
    4,049

    Uh.. This may help. Called "Google". You can look stuff up.

    The first link is the Miller TIG handbook. About 85 pages. Very good. The the convenience of M'Lord, I have listed the link:

    Miller TIG Handbook. Used to be free, alas.
    Last edited by bosleyjr; 02-27-2014 at 10:47 AM.
  10. 02-26-2014, 11:50 PM #10
    Dec 2003
    Location
    suburbs of Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    Posts
    11,639

    I'm self-taught so take that with a cube of salt. But what I do when I've taught people what to do, who are just starting out, is to take the filler rod away from them. Just give them the footpedal and the torch and some simple flat butt joints. Get them melting and moving the puddle around and get the feel of that. Then I give them the filler rod. It seems to progress much faster than having all three things to work with at once (that's the way I learned, not knowing any better, slightly before the days of YouTube , and it was awkward for awhile to say the least)
    Marty Comstock likes this.
  11. 02-27-2014, 05:30 AM #11
    Marty Comstock is offline Plastic
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Herkimer NY
    Posts
    40

    I take it a step further when I teach TIG or gas welding, I take away the butt joint and have them just run puddles down the plate. Lots of them. Then they are ready to progress to a butt joint.

    Awkward at first is good because nobody is perfect the first time. Or the second.

    Quote Originally Posted by matt_isserstedt View Post
    I'm self-taught so take that with a cube of salt. But what I do when I've taught people what to do, who are just starting out, is to take the filler rod away from them. Just give them the footpedal and the torch and some simple flat butt joints. Get them melting and moving the puddle around and get the feel of that. Then I give them the filler rod. It seems to progress much faster than having all three things to work with at once (that's the way I learned, not knowing any better, slightly before the days of YouTube , and it was awkward for awhile to say the least)
  12. 02-27-2014, 06:35 AM #12
    AndyF is online now Stainless
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Phelps, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,375

    Quote Originally Posted by bosleyjr View Post
    Uh.. This may help. Called "Google". You can look stuff up.

    The first link is the Miller TIG handbook. About 85 pages. Very good. The the convenience of M'Lord, I have listed the link:

    Miller TIG Handbook. Used to be free, alas.
    I hope you missed the emoticon with your response, or were having an off day.

    I generally like and respect the time you put into posts and often find them to be helpful, but snarky and sarcastic is beneath you. I know Google, I can look things up, but when my initial query, "TIG Welding Video" came up with 1,570,000 results, I was hoping to gain from the knowledge of the group. Thankfully, several of the other posts were genuinely helpful and pointed me to worthwhile sites that I might not have found in a quick search.
  13. 02-27-2014, 06:47 AM #13
    AndyF is online now Stainless
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Phelps, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,375

    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. My son Joe is spending much of his class time as the teacher's assistant helping the other students get to the point where they can sustain an arc and do a butt weld. Consequently, he isn't developing his skill level at the rate he would like and my comments that he is learning valuable life skills in terms of training others how to do a task only go so far when what he really wants is an opportunity to develop his welding skills.

    He'll be doing some work at home soon on our welder, check out some of the recommended videos and references. I may also sign him up for this class, TIG Welding Lv. 2 Night Course by RAFC Welding | RocAFC and am curious if anyone from the Rochester NY area has experience with classes at the Rochester Flame and Arc Center.
  14. 02-27-2014, 07:30 AM #14
    Heavey Metal is offline Titanium
    May 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,587

    The most important skill and one that dosnt come natural to everyone is the ability to walk the wire one handed.

    Takes lots of practice with a wire to teach the dum hand to do this

    Also I have found this remote WelderSource - Lincoln Hand Amptrol

    To be handier than a foot pedal
  15. 02-27-2014, 07:57 AM #15
    ChuckHolmes is offline Plastic
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lynchburg, Va
    Posts
    46

    A very good source I use myself is a guy called "Mr. TIG" at Weld.com on YouTube. He taught me how to DC TIG aluminum yesterday, never knew it could be done.
  16. 02-27-2014, 08:08 AM #16
    bob11x is online now Aluminum
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    206

    The Rochester Arc & Flame is a great way to learn. I took a Saturday class, then went for a 7 night class - Great facility and great instruction. Well worth it. They also offer blacksmithing, knife-smithing, and many glass programs. Highly recommended!
    They also offer discounts for purchases at Mahany Welding - which is where the classes are held.

    Good Luck

    bob
  17. 02-27-2014, 10:53 AM #17
    bosleyjr's Avatar
    bosleyjr is online now Diamond
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SE PA, Philly
    Posts
    4,049

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    I hope you missed the emoticon with your response, or were having an off day.
    And would some Power the small gift give us
    To see ourselves as others see us!
    It would from many a blunder free us,
    And foolish notion:
    What airs in dress and gait would leave us,
    And even devotion!

    (Modern English rendering of Burn's Poem "To A Louse, On Seeing One on a Lady's Bonnet at Church")

    Andy, Meant to be a gentle "laughing with you" rather than a snarky "laughing at you"/ridicule. Obviously, missed my mark. My apologies, and appreciate your pointing this out. The emoticon has been added!

    PS: The 75 page Miller Tig Book I have was the free version. I understand that they've upgraded the book and now sell it. I think it may be just what you're looking for.
  18. 02-27-2014, 11:29 AM #18
    LFLondon's Avatar
    LFLondon is online now Hot Rolled
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    645

    Kevin Caron's YouTube welding videos are excellent.

    Kevin Caron
    https://www.youtube.com/user/kevincaron/videos

    How to TIG Weld Steel and Aluminum
    How to TIG Weld Steel and Aluminum With Longevity's New 160SX - Kevin Caron - YouTube

    Back to Basics: Getting Started With TIG Welding
    - Wyatt "Mr. TIG" Swaim - Weld.com and Kevin Caron
    Back to Basics: Getting Started With TIG Welding - Weld.com and Kevin Caron - YouTube

  • [machinist] Tig welding texts and tutorials, Lawrence London, 02/27/2014