machinist - [machinist] tramming my new mill - Page 3

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] tramming my new mill - Page 3
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 18:27:22 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/tramming-my-new-mill-280091/index3.html

  1. sen2two is offline Aluminum
    May 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    101

    It looks to me in that page from the instruction manual that it was intended to be trammed using something similar to the ProTram.

    Anyone prefer the ProTram over swinging an indicator around?
  2. 02-13-2014, 04:45 PM #43
    Spyderedge's Avatar
    Spyderedge is offline Cast Iron
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    347

    Quote Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
    It looks to me in that page from the instruction manual that it was intended to be trammed using something similar to the ProTram.

    Anyone prefer the ProTram over swinging an indicator around?
    Don't get a protram or spindle square or anything until you get the basics down.
    It honestly takes 5 minutes to tram a mill. You have spent more time posting in this thread than it would take to tram the thing.

    Just do this:
  3. 02-13-2014, 05:54 PM #44
    Jaxian is online now Aluminum
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    78

    I have to agree with the above. Getting the basics down for a quick accurate tram in with no gimmicks is a must.

    That said, my lazy butt bought a 649-5 SPINDLE SQUARE .125" RANGE - STARRETT - Amazon.com because it was just so quick to not only tram to the table but also to tram to the vise, top or bottom, to a sine bar, to a tilt table, rotary table, etc. I mean most of the time I would just assume something like a Kurt vise or a good rotary table was parallel to the table, plus I wasn't going to take the time to double check. With that Starrett spindle square I really don't have a good excuse to not just pop it in and double check.

  • [machinist] tramming my new mill - Page 3, Lawrence London, 02/13/2014