machinist - [machinist] Tool Pics: Trig solution to tapering hole diameter problem—follow up

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Tool Pics: Trig solution to tapering hole diameter problem—follow up
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 23:03:12 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/tool-pics-trig-solution-tapering-hole-diameter-problem-follow-up-278803/

  1. 01-20-2014, 07:53 PM #1
    dgfoster's Avatar
    dgfoster is online now Stainless
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    1,275

    As promised earlier, I am posting picsof the tool I designed and built using the calculations and spreadsheet previously outlined in a related thread:
    Trig Solution to Tapering Hole Diameter Problem

    The object of the calculations was todesign a light steel arm for an adjustable height wheel dresser.Keeping the arm light prevented toppling of the tool on its base when the magnet was turned off. Those of you who have used a surface grinder know that cranking the wheel down 8 inches and back up 8 inches just to dress the wheel on a diamond is a pain. On my machine that is 160 turns of the crank each way. An adjustable height dresser takes the diamond up to wheel level making dressing less of a pain.

    The project started out with theintention of just making a basic workable tool that would get the jobdone and would not look too crude. As things progressed and metalwas turned and bored and looked kind of shiny, I started down thepath of “cleaning up” the tool especially the base. For me thatis sort of like taking one potato chip out of the bag.....

    As you can see from the pics attached the base was a repurposed POS cast iron anvil that laid around unused and unusable for 30 yrs. The heel and horn were band sawn off and then it was reshaped some on the mill. The rest is pretty self-explanatory. For scale, the arm length is 8.”

    The resulting tool is rock solid and very convenient to use. Thanks to those of you who made many useful suggestions along the way.

    Denis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dresser1.jpg   dresser2.jpg   dresser4.jpg   dresser3.jpg
    Last edited by dgfoster; 01-20-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Formatting
    RayG, omrc7771 and rustytool like this.
  2. 01-20-2014, 07:57 PM #2
    lowCountryCamo's Avatar
    lowCountryCamo is offline Hot Rolled
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Savannah, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    546

    I freakin' love it! Where can I get one?
  3. 01-20-2014, 08:26 PM #3
    extropic is online now Aluminum
    Dec 2010
    Location
    WA, USA
    Posts
    132

    Very nice Denis.

    I would like to see a pic or two of the disassembled parts. I'm wondering if there are some hidden design elements.
  4. 01-20-2014, 08:57 PM #4
    dgfoster's Avatar
    dgfoster is online now Stainless
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    1,275

    Quote Originally Posted by extropic View Post
    Very nice Denis.

    I would like to see a pic or two of the disassembled parts. I'm wondering if there are some hidden design elements.
    Thanks to all for the positive responses. I will post an exploded view tomorrow. Indoor lighting and my little iPhone camera just don't result in good photos for an item of this type. Nothing hidden really--just a couple of brass washers on the base shaft between the knurled wheels and the arms. But all will be revealed tomorrow.

    Denis

  • [machinist] Tool Pics: Trig solution to tapering hole diameter problem—follow up, Lawrence London, 01/20/2014