machinist - [machinist] Cold Forming Solid Steel Rivets - Pressures Involved - Also, suppliers

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Cold Forming Solid Steel Rivets - Pressures Involved - Also, suppliers
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 04:31:25 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/cold-forming-solid-steel-rivets-pressures-involved-also-suppliers-277821/

  1. 01-02-2014, 12:09 PM #1
    snowman is offline Titanium
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Posts
    3,994

    I'm making a couple of things that have some rivets in them, 5/16 domed head. Mostly used for cosmetic purposes.

    The only reference I have found is off anvilfire. Rivet Forces in Steel : Chart

    Can anyone confirm that those numbers are close? The math seems about right.

    I am not so concerned about shape of the rivet on the deformed side....as long as it opens up a little to bind the parts together. I could just as easily use grade 3 bolts, but like I said, aesthetics prevail on this project.

    I'm going to have to make a squeezer, and just want to make sure that I'm using enough mechanical advantage on my cylinder.

    Also, anybody know where they can be purchased cheaper than Mcmaster? Their price is around $7/lb.

    Now to create another thread, with a similar theme.
  2. 01-02-2014, 12:13 PM #2
    adama is offline Diamond
    Dec 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    5,686

    That chart is listed as hot, going to take a fair bit more cold. That said if you just want some spread probably a fair bit less.
  3. 01-02-2014, 12:24 PM #3
    snowman is offline Titanium
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Posts
    3,994

    The data at the bottom said cold is 2x increase.

    Plan to design squeezer for 4x as much, just want to make sure I'll still be able to squeeze it.

    I'm new to any type of forging.
  4. 01-02-2014, 01:35 PM #4
    Timw is offline Stainless
    Nov 2005
    Location
    N E Florida
    Posts
    1,982

    I needed 1/4" steel rivets for a clutch disc so I made them out of 1/4" round rod and piened them with a small hammer, see pics.
    I ordered a disc online and got the spline dimensions wrong so I had to change the center hub.
    It was surprisingly easy!
    I have driven many thousands of 3/16" and 1/4" aluminum rivets with an air chisel/rivet gun.
    I have even used a rivet squeaser also HUCK Guns working on Semi trailers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails forklift-clutch-002.jpg   forklift-clutch-004.jpg   forklift-clutch-006.jpg   forklift-clutch-005.jpg
  5. 01-02-2014, 01:57 PM #5
    crossthread is offline Stainless
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Richmond,VA,USA
    Posts
    1,095

    I don't know why you replaced that clutch Tim. The old one looks fine.
  6. 01-02-2014, 02:04 PM #6
    snowman is offline Titanium
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Posts
    3,994
  7. 01-02-2014, 06:15 PM #7
    Ries's Avatar
    Ries is offline Diamond
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edison Washington USA
    Posts
    7,657

    both those charts seem about right.
    I use a ten ton enerpac C Clamp to set 1/4" rivets in the field, and it works OK- on 304 stainless, usually.
    I prefer the appearance of the ones I do in the shop, with a 30 ton cylinder, but if all you care about is minimum holding power, and not a perfectly formed dome, then 10 to 15 tons should be fine for your 5/16" rivets.

    Arbor Press, C Clamp Press & A Series Press | Enerpac

    I tend to buy rivets from JayCee, because they have good selection, good service, and decent prices- but I couldnt guarantee they are cheaper than McMaster across the board, though I would expect they are.
    Rivets by Jay-Cee | Rivets In Stock - Rivets & Rivet Tools
    John Madarasz and Rob F. like this.
  8. 01-02-2014, 07:25 PM #8
    tom in nh's Avatar
    tom in nh is offline Cast Iron
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Derry, NH USA
    Posts
    339

    As Ries said, Jay Cees for rivets.
    Can't you use semi-tubular rivets instead?
    FAR less effort to upset, tonnage-wise.
    Good luck,
    Tom
    Last edited by tom in nh; 01-02-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling error
    John Madarasz likes this.
  9. 01-02-2014, 09:12 PM #9
    John Madarasz's Avatar
    John Madarasz is offline Stainless
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Frazer, PA.
    Posts
    1,057

    yup...jaycee is the ticket. I buy there all the time
  10. 01-02-2014, 09:39 PM #10
    TDegenhart is offline Stainless
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Geneva Illinois USA
    Posts
    1,705

    Early in my career with GE, I wanted to know how much tonnage was required to cold rivet a magnet. I set up a magnet in a hydraulic press with a DI to monitor the movement of the ram. The tonnage and displacement went hand in hand until I got to around 1.8 tons. Further motion of the DI or all purposes stopped with more force. The rivet was 1/8" diameter. For other diameters, I use 2(ton)x(d2/.12)^2 where d2 is the rivet diameter.

    Tom
  11. 01-02-2014, 10:48 PM #11
    sticks is offline Aluminum
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mid-Michigan, USA
    Posts
    139

    Monel rivets set well with a fair bit less muscle than steel, if going for cosmetics vs strength and not using 'open-ended' (proper mandrels required, there)
    Just a thought ...

  • [machinist] Cold Forming Solid Steel Rivets - Pressures Involved - Also, suppliers, Lawrence London, 01/03/2014