machinist - [machinist] Hold down finger

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Hold down finger
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 21:40:22 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/hold-down-finger-277377/

  1. CougarMountain is offline Hot Rolled
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    656

    Default Hold down finger

    I have seen similar tools made by others on this site, but could not find the right terminoloy to have it come up in the searches, so here is my version......

    Mostly made from rems of stainless I had laying around, the base is a chunk of bar that bolts on, allowing the unit to be pivoted flat so it will fit in a drawer. The o-rings were added for non slip, and as insulators, if used on my tig (no arc tracks on the tool). Also a sliding weight for adjustable holding pressure. I think the pics tell the rest of the story.

    Let's see your versions......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20131223_133139.jpg   20131223_133005.jpg   20131223_133338.jpg
  2. 12-23-2013, 05:57 PM #2
    MichaelP is offline Titanium
    Dec 2008
    Location
    IL/WI border
    Posts
    2,128

    Quote Originally Posted by CougarMountain View Post
    ... but could not find the right terminology to have it come up in the searches...
    Welder's finger.

    Nicely done. Thank you for sharing.
  3. 12-23-2013, 07:25 PM #3
    steve45 is online now Cast Iron
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    355

    That's the nicest 'finger' I've seen. May I make a suggestion?

    Bore a hole lengthwise through the base, then you can slide the base and the weight onto the finger for storage.

  • [machinist] Hold down finger, Lawrence London, 12/23/2013