machinist - [machinist] Roller box turning tool | Best Insert For Smaller Parts

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Roller box turning tool | Best Insert For Smaller Parts
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 21:09:15 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/best-insert-smaller-parts-276734/

  1. 12-11-2013, 06:50 PM #1
    blake in spokane is online now Hot Rolled
    Jan 2008
    Location
    spokane
    Posts
    734

    Default Best Insert For Smaller Parts

    I need to turn a number of pieces 1/4 dia. with a couple steps down to 3/16 - 4140. WNMG, TNMG, TPG321 aren't getting me there. Both finish & size. 6" oal with the steps on 4" one end. I also cut a little long to work my way in there & later remove the center.
  2. 12-11-2013, 06:58 PM #2
    MK Proto is online now Aluminum
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bensalem, PA
    Posts
    131

    What hardness if it at? Use a aluminum insert with a small nose radius and a light feed. cut a part and then program your taper in if you have any. Or get someone with a swiss to run it.
  3. 12-11-2013, 07:04 PM #3
    ostie01 is online now Plastic
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    37

    VNMG or similar work great with small parts.

    Jeff
  4. 12-11-2013, 07:04 PM #4
    Zonko is online now Hot Rolled
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    686

    No insert ? Id go the HSS route.

    1/4 by 6" is ugly. 6" by 3/16 is even worse.

    I remember turning something in the order of 1/4 by 8" with the finest HSS tool and still got more taper than i would have liked. That was a total exercise in futility. Without a follower rest that is, we had none for that machine.
    With steps etc. you may be able to use a steady....

    I have had some good results using sharp VCMT inserts for this sort of thing. Was a sharp steel finishing grade actually, you can get even sharper ones if there is need. A lot of model engineers use CCGT etc. style ground and polished non coated carbide for almost everything. It will even work on small bench lathes and can turn small parts that CNMG et al could never do.
  5. 12-11-2013, 07:07 PM #5
    Limy Sami is online now Diamond
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    10,124

    Use a roller box for the long skinny bit and ordinary tool for the steps.
    sfriedberg, bardell and Ray Behner like this.
  6. 12-11-2013, 07:21 PM #6
    Bobw's Avatar
    Bobw is online now Diamond
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hatch, NM Chile capital of the WORLD
    Posts
    4,677

    4140... If it needs to be heat treated, do that first. The stuff is gummy and likes to tear in the annealed condition, especially at a low surface speed,
    and at 1/4" you are at a low surface speed.

    Sharp insert, small nose radius. Something ground, most likely meant from aluminum. But that's already been said.
  7. 12-11-2013, 07:23 PM #7
    bardell is online now Aluminum
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Jersey, USA
    Posts
    185

    Limy Samy hit the nail on the head. Forget insert choice for a bit, look at the approach for now...you're gonna try to turn 32xD(!) with an approach that has problems at 3xD without a center, and MAYBE 3 or 4 times that with a center holding things still. Add to that a sub 1" diameter...box tool wins hands-down, short of aforementioned Swiss.
  8. 12-11-2013, 07:43 PM #8
    blake in spokane is online now Hot Rolled
    Jan 2008
    Location
    spokane
    Posts
    734

    Whats a roller box? My lathes are a an older but tight LeBlond & a Turnmaster/Clausing.
  9. 12-11-2013, 07:51 PM #9
    Screwmachine is online now Stainless
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,725

    Quote Originally Posted by blake in spokane View Post
    Whats a roller box? My lathes are a an older but tight LeBlond & a Turnmaster/Clausing.
    Google box turning tool. Basically a tool with two rollers that are adjustable and a cutting tool that is also adjustable, the rollers support the work just ahead of the turned portion. Can turn small diameters just about as long as you please with one.
  10. 12-11-2013, 07:52 PM #10
    bardell is online now Aluminum
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Jersey, USA
    Posts
    185

    Google 'box turning tool'. Turns up results here and around the web that explain the layout and use of these tools. They've mostly been replaced by the use of sliding headstock Swiss autos, so box turners are available cheap on Craigslist and epay and the like.
  11. 12-11-2013, 07:57 PM #11
    alonzo83's Avatar
    alonzo83 is online now Aluminum
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    223

    Is this a manual or cnc machine?

    I have to make a tool every so often from 4140 it is about .062 X .5 on one surface the one behind it is .125 X 1.25 on second surface. I have had good success with a fine point cemented carbide I have used carbide inserts but not as much luck with them.

    Kick the rpm way up. 2K or more if your machine has it.

    Slow the feed way down.

    Get your center line perfect otherwise the material will get pushed around like a fat kid on the playground.
  12. 12-11-2013, 08:03 PM #12
    tnmgcarbide's Avatar
    tnmgcarbide is online now Titanium
    Jul 2004
    Location
    N. GA- 33.992N , -83.72W usa
    Posts
    2,143

    go to ebay, get cermet inserts of the tnmp ,wnmp,dnmp...whatever holder ,,run those fuckers wide assed - open - as fast as you can . doc, .020 max,
    finish about .005.-.001, feed about .002
    /rev (it should be fast at the top rpm) your finish should be mirror.

    Teledyne DNMP 432 8cc Cermet Carbide Inserts 10 Pcs | eBay

    i forgot the orange-glowing ribbons part....
    alonzo83 likes this.
  13. 12-11-2013, 08:10 PM #13
    L Vanice is online now Diamond
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    7,851

    Quote Originally Posted by blake in spokane View Post
    Whats a roller box? My lathes are a an older but tight LeBlond & a Turnmaster/Clausing.
    b-s-box-tool-2.jpgb-s-box-tool.jpg This is a 5/8" straight shank Boyar-Schultz 00RT roller box tool. It is made for use in a turret, like a Hardinge DSM59. But it can be mounted to a toolpost holder on the carriage or held in a Morse taper end mill holder in a conventional tailstock. They are very accurate and do not produce a taper. You can get a similar model that uses TPG221 inserts. The second picture shows the best way to grind a HS tool bit for this tool.

    Larry
  14. 12-11-2013, 08:21 PM #14
    richard newman is online now Hot Rolled
    Jul 2006
    Location
    rochester, ny
    Posts
    884

    Larry, on that grind is there relief after the very front edge of the tool? All the cutting right on that edge, no shaving behind it?

  • [machinist] Roller box turning tool | Best Insert For Smaller Parts, Lawrence London, 12/11/2013