machinist - [machinist] Removing stuck arbor from a Maxwell Q2 Boring Head, 1/2" EZ Set No 30

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Removing stuck arbor from a Maxwell Q2 Boring Head, 1/2" EZ Set No 30
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:00:27 -0500

Removing stuck arbor from a Maxwell Q2 Boring Head, 1/2" EZ Set No 30

I bought this used a few years ago, now want to remove the existing arbor and replace it with
MT 2 or 3, R8 or straight shank types as available. Until I get the existing arbor out I won't know what
other types will fit the boring head. I have tried unscrewing it to no avail so far and am wondering what
techniques might work; I haven't tried soaking it in solvent or oil yet. There is little to grab onto for unscrewing
without risk of damage. I Googled this model and found it to be a quality tool and fairly pricey when manufactured

The arbor is easily machined and am considering turning it into a 3/4" straight shank and reducing its length. What would optimum diameter and shank length be?
I plan on using it in my Bridgeport mill. I have R8 endmill holders to mount it in.

Specs:
accepts 1/2" boring bars
arbor length = 6", diameter small end = 1", diameter large end 1 1/4"
head is 2 1/16" wide X 2 3/8" long
Image below:
Inline image 1
Thanks for any feedback.

LFLondonĀ
--
Skype: lawrence.f.london

  • [machinist] Removing stuck arbor from a Maxwell Q2 Boring Head, 1/2" EZ Set No 30, Lawrence London, 12/10/2013