machinist - [machinist] Band saw blade thickness - pros and cons?

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Band saw blade thickness - pros and cons?
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 14:45:27 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/band-saw-blade-thickness-pros-cons-276325/

  1. Econdron is offline Plastic
    May 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    32

    Default Band saw blade thickness - pros and cons?

    I'm using a band saw with a 120" x 1" blade. My biggest question is what are the pros and cons of the thickness of the blade? From what I can gather, a thinner blade is more flexible so less susceptable to stress cracking and cuts faster. And a thicker blade will just last longer? I should also say I only use Lenox bi-metal saw blades and can get them custom made for my saw for about $30.
  2. 12-05-2013, 08:11 AM #2
    DMF_TomB is offline Stainless
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    1,369

    Default blade thickness

    Quote Originally Posted by Econdron View Post
    I'm using a band saw with a 120" x 1" blade. My biggest question is what are the pros and cons of the thickness of the blade? From what I can gather, a thinner blade is more flexible so less susceptable to stress cracking and cuts faster. And a thicker blade will just last longer? I should also say I only use Lenox bi-metal saw blades and can get them custom made for my saw for about $30.
    .
    its been my experience a thinner blade handles a smaller bandsaw wheel better without cracking as if too thick blade will crack more easy going over a small wheel or the limit to bend a smaller diameter
    .
    thicker blade will stay straighter in general while cutting, might cost more $, puts more pressure on stock cutting the wider kurf, sometimes blade will last longer
  3. 12-05-2013, 09:26 AM #3
    JRIowa's Avatar
    JRIowa is offline Diamond
    May 2003
    Location
    Marshalltown, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    6,649

    I have never seen a 1" blade in anything but 0.035" thickness. Same goes for 3/4 and 1 1/4" wide blades, all 0.035" thick.

    Now, are you talking about width? Is this a vertical or horizontal saw? What are you cutting?
    JR
    digger doug likes this.
  4. 12-05-2013, 02:15 PM #4
    Fabitfast is online now Aluminum
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    183

    There's actually 1" 0.42 thick blade but it's triple chip carbide blade not bi metal. He's right, 1" blade normally goes with 0.35" thick. Thickness of the blade required depends upon the diameter of the wheel and work to be done.

  • [machinist] Band saw blade thickness - pros and cons?, Lawrence London, 12/05/2013