machinist - [machinist] Special metal shaper

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Special metal shaper
  • Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 15:55:40 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/special-metal-shaper-276196/

  1. 12-03-2013, 04:40 AM #1
    NorthernLight is offline Plastic
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    16

    Default Special metal shaper

    Is there any metal shapers that can do round shapes, like with "tilting" tool head? If there is, I need one.
  2. 12-03-2013, 04:46 AM #2
    abarnsley is offline Titanium
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    2,543

    A standard shaper with a dividing head, vertical rotary table, or other indexing fixture, will do that..

    You just need a decent sized shaper to put them on..
    NorthernLight likes this.
  3. 12-03-2013, 11:05 AM #3
    digger doug is offline Titanium
    Oct 2005
    Location
    erie,pa
    Posts
    2,637

    A slotter.

    How much angle ?
  4. 12-03-2013, 11:25 AM #4
    johnoder's Avatar
    johnoder is online now Diamond
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    19,536

    Both 6" and 12" P&W would tilt 5 degrees standard.

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    A slotter.

    How much angle ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pg6.jpg
  5. 12-03-2013, 11:29 AM #5
    digger doug is offline Titanium
    Oct 2005
    Location
    erie,pa
    Posts
    2,637

    Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Both 6" and 12" P&W would tilt 5 degrees standard.
    Yes, walked out into the shop to look at the both of them (a 6" and a 12") and the angle adjustment
    looked like mainly for clearance on dies sections.

    If the O.P. needs more angle, suggest putting a tilting rotary table on TOP OF slotter table.
  6. 12-03-2013, 12:42 PM #6
    peterve's Avatar
    peterve is online now Titanium
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,189

    A punch shaper perhaps
    Something like this

    Peter from holland

    Is that Nick BTW
  7. 12-03-2013, 01:03 PM #7
    woodsrider845 is online now Aluminum
    Dec 2012
    Location
    ny usa
    Posts
    57

    Quote Originally Posted by peterve View Post
    A punch shaper perhaps
    Something like this

    Peter from holland

    Is that Nick BTW
    Very cool video, but I'm still on the edge of my chair, waiting to see some chips, and of course... The cuts it makes! I NEED TO SEE WHAT IT DOES!!!!!!!!
    Dave K2 and michiganbuck like this.
  8. 12-03-2013, 01:05 PM #8
    peterve's Avatar
    peterve is online now Titanium
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,189

    Yes me too I wanted to see some chips but thats the best I could find
    Till I looked better

  9. 12-03-2013, 01:30 PM #9
    stephen thomas is offline Diamond
    Jun 2001
    Location
    downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,626

    Several (horizontal) American shapers, perhaps especially the American brand (which I think became the Cincinnati line) had auxilliary/optional toolhead arrangements whereby they could shape cylinders or bores or sections of same via manual feed. American also had an aux convex shaping attachment with power feed that mounted to the apron (standard table removed).

    The tool head set ups included worm drive via hand crank to a gear behind the tool slide so the whole head could be rotated under positive control.

    The convex set ups amounted to basically a tilting or horizontal rotab mounted flat to the apron (IOW, vertical orientation) with a gear adaptor from the table drive fed feeding into the drive for the rotab.

    I've looked at a lot of shapers over 40 years and never seen one (either one), though.

    Can you use a vertical rotary table or dividing head to do the work?

    smt
  10. 12-03-2013, 01:36 PM #10
    chuckey is offline Stainless
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wensleydale, UK
    Posts
    1,077

    When the vid has finished, do a Youtube search on :- umf ruhla typ 32 , Part ll is more interesting. What a brilliant machine!, how did the design engineer come up with the multi-multi link mechanism!
    Frank
  11. 12-03-2013, 03:49 PM #11
    LFLondon's Avatar
    LFLondon is online now Hot Rolled
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    576

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Yes, walked out into the shop to look at the both of them (a 6" and a 12") and the angle adjustment
    looked like mainly for clearance on dies sections.

    If the O.P. needs more angle, suggest putting a tilting rotary table on TOP OF slotter table.
    Pratt & Whitney 6" Vertical Shaper Operation
    Pratt & Whitney 6" Vertical Shaper Operation - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoyqKJ8BFag
    Published on Jan 9, 2013
    A short demonstration of the controls and operation of a Pratt & Whitney Model B 6" vertical shaper.
  12. 12-04-2013, 12:50 AM #12
    11 Bravo's Avatar
    11 Bravo is offline Cast Iron
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Gillette, Wyoming
    Posts
    326

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
[...]

    This link is to a 1958 Popular Mechanics scan that shows some set-ups similar to what Stephen is describing.

    http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/...h_a_shaper.pdf

    I have a radius tool on my list of things to make for my 16" G&E, but more pressing jobs keep coming up. Maybe I can finally get it built this winter when things slow down.
  13. 12-04-2013, 05:28 AM #13
    NorthernLight is offline Plastic
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    16

    Great answers, but I'm looking a machine like one on this video at about 00:38.
  14. 12-04-2013, 09:45 AM #14
    stephen thomas is offline Diamond
    Jun 2001
    Location
    downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,626

    Curious operation - I tried slowing and stopping the motion, but am still not confident where exactly the cut is taking place?

    Is this a job shop, or what industry do they make parts for?

    If I could figure out exactly what was going on there, it may be possible to make a fairly simple accessory to mount on the table that is driven by a standard horizontal shaper. Some kind of rocking arm with an infeed toolslide.

    smt
  15. 12-04-2013, 10:30 AM #15
    NorthernLight is offline Plastic
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    16

    It is working on gun industry and that one is making receiver for a shotgun. Ready product is seen in picture below.trunnions-photo.jpg