machinist - [machinist] Project books

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Project books
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 12:07:48 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/project-books-276085/

  1. 12-01-2013, 07:24 AM #1
    ossi is offline Aluminum
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    80

    Default Project books

    Hi all.

    I need more books. I have a lot but.....
    I like maching books an have books like Steve Ackers bokks. Lautards and Frank de Haas.

    Any you recommend?
  2. 12-01-2013, 09:37 AM #2
    byawor is offline Cast Iron
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Regina. Sk. Canada
    Posts
    290

    At one time South Bend had a book of projects for students, mostly tools, I think. Don't have one but try posting on the SB forum.
    Bob
  3. 12-01-2013, 10:43 AM #3
    byawor is offline Cast Iron
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Regina. Sk. Canada
    Posts
    290

    Here is a link to the book
    South Bend Lathe - Book 39-B
  4. 12-01-2013, 02:47 PM #4
    ossi is offline Aluminum
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    80

    Thats a nice one byawor. A bit basic though.
  5. 12-01-2013, 07:23 PM #5
    Marty Feldman is online now Stainless
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Owl's Head, Maine
    Posts
    1,200

    Joshua Rose had a number of books. If you find the big 2-volume one on machining practice it is very well worth considering for your library. In US dollars, expect to pay between 1 and 5 hundred dollars, depending on condition. The engravings are impressive.
  6. 12-02-2013, 08:44 AM #6
    Eric M is online now Aluminum
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    162

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Feldman View Post
    Joshua Rose had a number of books. If you find the big 2-volume one on machining practice it is very well worth considering for your library. In US dollars, expect to pay between 1 and 5 hundred dollars, depending on condition. The engravings are impressive.
    Or, if you can't afford the $$$, you can download ".pdf" versions from Google Books.
    Volume 1: Modern Machine-shop Practice - Joshua Rose - Google Books
    Volume 2: Modern Machine-shop Practice - Joshua Rose - Google Books
  7. 12-02-2013, 09:01 AM #7
    hickstick_10 is online now Hot Rolled
    Oct 2009
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    878

    If its pure project ideas you're looking for its hard to beat the books turned out by Village Press, they have a bit of everything. For Horology (clock making, not mastering the friday night pick up line) the brits have us beat Clock Makers—John Wilding.

    For straight technique on manual equipment I'd like to recommend "Advanced Machine Work" by Robert H. Smith, why this book isn't extolled ten times more then southbends rag on running a lathe I will never know.

    For pretty pictures/engravings, great ideas for manual machine tooling and a fully dimensioned set of plans for a 1/4 hp steam engine, I suggest "Metal Working" by Paul N. Hasluck, he covers a bit of everything in the book, some of it is archaic but some of the ideas are still very applicable.

    You are closer to Europe, which would have a trove of machining books that we would not normally have access to here, I have a few that were given to me by a scotsman I worked with years ago and they were very interesting. Be aware that the term "engineering" is used interchangeably with machining and actual engineering.

  • [machinist] Project books, Lawrence London, 12/02/2013