machinist - [machinist] Most convenient indicator for mill

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Most convenient indicator for mill
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 13:16:55 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/most-convenient-indicator-mill-275578/

  1. Econdron is online now Plastic
    May 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    26

    Default Most convenient indicator for mill

    I'm currently using a magnetic base type indicator, but it's very inconvenient most of the time and the magnet always slides around, and tightening all the knobs on the stem get to be a real pain.

    So I'm looking for a convenient, preferebly all-in-one, indicator. I'm thinking one that will fit in a collet (or has an R8 shank but I've never seen one of those). I was looking at the blake co-axial indicators, but will those work for aligning vices or rotary tables and such? Or just for centering holes?

    I was also looking into getting one of those "3D edge finders" that run about $450, which also double as an indicator. Like this one:

    Haimer Universal 3D Sensor - Inch - Amazon.com

    But I'm a little concerned about the actual convenience of it, etc.
  2. 11-21-2013, 11:56 AM #2
    Alloy Mcgraw is online now Stainless
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Eastern CT USA
    Posts
    1,277

    I have 2 of the Haimers. Pretty nice and useful for many things. I use one for each vmc for fixture/tool offsets. But it's not ideal for every situation. I still use my other indicators for certain things.(Still use my top hat edge finder when I need to get under overhangs)

    Once you set the haimer in a collet and adjust it for runout, you want to leave it in that collet/machine forever. Or you have to adjust it everytime it's used somewhere else.
  3. 11-21-2013, 12:10 PM #3
    hickstick_10 is online now Hot Rolled
    Oct 2009
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    861

    Quote Originally Posted by Econdron View Post
    I'm currently using a magnetic base type indicator, but it's very inconvenient most of the time and the magnet always slides around, and tightening all the knobs on the stem get to be a real pain.

    So I'm looking for a convenient, preferebly all-in-one, indicator. I'm thinking one that will fit in a collet (or has an R8 shank but I've never seen one of those). I was looking at the blake co-axial indicators, but will those work for aligning vices or rotary tables and such? Or just for centering holes?

    I was also looking into getting one of those "3D edge finders" that run about $450, which also double as an indicator. Like this one:

    Haimer Universal 3D Sensor - Inch - Amazon.com

    But I'm a little concerned about the actual convenience of it, etc.
    These small universal bases are made by various companies not just starett, but I like my Starett because the version I bought was all steel. This base combined with a dial test indicator (finger dial), is extremely versatile. One knob tightens all the pivto points and no dicking around sticking something in the collet.

    The Co-Axs are predominantly for holes.
  4. 11-21-2013, 12:14 PM #4
    Lost in LA is offline Cast Iron
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    260
  5. 11-21-2013, 12:15 PM #5
    JRIowa's Avatar
    JRIowa is online now Diamond
    May 2003
    Location
    Marshalltown, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    6,557

    Interapid 312B - $280
    Indicol 178 - $42
    Starrett 827B - $31

    That leaves you with about $100 beer money.
    JR
  6. 11-21-2013, 12:17 PM #6
    Econdron is online now Plastic
    May 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    26

    Sorry, I'm a newbie to machining. What do you mean "runout"?
  7. 11-21-2013, 12:29 PM #7
    upnorth5axis is online now Aluminum
    Aug 2013
    Location
    upper michigan
    Posts
    100

    I will only buy interapid you can use them everywhere
  8. 11-21-2013, 12:35 PM #8
    vanguard cycle's Avatar
    vanguard cycle is online now Hot Rolled
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Charleston/NYC
    Posts
    533

    i love my indicol mount
  9. 11-21-2013, 12:35 PM #9
    robosilo is online now Aluminum
    Nov 2012
    Location
    wisconsin USA
    Posts
    120

    Quote Originally Posted by Alloy Mcgraw View Post
    ....(Still use my top hat edge finder when I need to get under overhangs)
    So that's what they are called... Any idea who sells that type of edge finder? The fischer model is way too big.

    in regards to the OPs question: I have an indicol and love it. it fits an R8 spindle and many of the cat40 holders I deal with at work. I also have one of those zero finders that uses a screw as a fine adjust. Together with my B&S best test tenths indicator, finding center takes a very short amount of time.
  10. 11-21-2013, 12:44 PM #10
    David Utidjian's Avatar
    David Utidjian is online now Titanium
    Send a message via AIM to David Utidjian
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Mahwah, NJ
    Posts
    2,896

    Quote Originally Posted by Econdron View Post
    Sorry, I'm a newbie to machining. What do you mean "runout"?
    I was going to do a 'Here let me google that for you'... but that might be a bit rude. Please look it up yourself... you will find plenty of descriptions.
    Here is one: GD&T Total Runout Definition | eMachineShop

    It is one of the basic measurements you will be doing with your indicator so read as much as you can about it.

    -DU-
  11. 11-21-2013, 01:02 PM #11
    XD341 is online now Cast Iron
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NY USA
    Posts
    297

    The haimer is a nice unit. Worth the $$. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

  • [machinist] Most convenient indicator for mill, Lawrence London, 11/21/2013