machinist - [machinist] Speed and feed app : Machinists

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Speed and feed app : Machinists
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 00:49:03 -0500

http://www.reddit.com/r/Machinists/comments/1r0lsi/speed_and_feed_app/

[–]sudden_somberForeman/CNC Mill 1 point 19 minutes ago

This one is pretty good.

http://zero-divide.net/?page=fswizard

[–]Lighter22R&D Machinist 1 point 31 minutes ago

Sandvik has a very good one

[–]callmemoch 2 points 2 hours ago

My favorite is "machinist journeyman," I also have "imachinist," they are both good http://www.brighthub.com/mobile/iphone/articles/91341.aspx

[–]reklokiCNC/Manual Machinist/Programmer 1 point 3 hours ago

There are formulas, but you need to know specific details about the tool you are using. SFM (surface footage per minute) and IPT (inches per tooth, aka chip load per tooth) are both determined by the specific tool being used. Many common tool materials, such as HSS and cobalt, have standard SFM and IPT. Manufacturers of specialized tooling, ie. cemented carbides and ceramics, have lists in their catalogs with various speeds and feeds based on the tool and grade.

As far as the formulas: RPM=(SFM3.82)/tool diameter; IPM=RPMIPT*number of teeth. For a regular twist drill, the number of teeth always equals 1.

All that being said, I don't have the iphone, but there should be some app that lets you put in these terms and does the formulas for you. Iscar has their own app called ibaqus.

[–]l0c0dantesCNC guy 1 point 1 hour ago

Wait, for a regular twist drill, which generally has two flutes, it equals one?

I am just asking this to learn more (Only been at this for two years, and there is always something more to learn)

Is there a particular reason for that? Generally, when I get my feeds and speeds from mastercam (I am lazy) I shoot for a chip load of .001 for my hand sharpened drills. It has worked for me, but only by trial and error.

[–]alexchallyModerator - Scientific Research Support 1 point 5 hours ago

I don't think it works on iPhone, but I am a big fan of GWizard.

[–]Raem99Mining and Aerospace (Apprentice) 1 point 6 hours ago

Why don't you calculate it? Speed = (CSx3.8)/Dia. Milling Feed = RPM x #of teeth on cutter x Chipload. Hope that helps!

  • [machinist] Speed and feed app : Machinists, Lawrence London, 11/20/2013