machinist - [machinist] Source for low cost wooden handles?

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Source for low cost wooden handles?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 19:00:55 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/source-low-cost-wooden-handles-275108/

  1. tomwalz is offline Stainless
    May 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,003

    Default Source for low cost wooden handles?

    Source for low cost wooden handles?

    We make and sell brazing pokey sticks. Basically they are a 7” or so of a material with low thermal conductivity and high heat resistance such as Normally, fused quartz, graphite and similar.

    They are used to move parts during brazing at approximately 1500 F in an induction coil, oxy-acetylene torch and similar.

    We have a heck of a time finding simple wooden handles (see attached, please.) that we can buy by dozens, 50’s or something similar.

    I can find a couple here and there. I can find a manufacturer. Grainger is very expensive.

    Wondered if anyone a source. The holes in file handles are too big. We need something with a chuck or a hole suitable for a 3/16” or ¼” rod.

    Thanks,
    Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood-file-handle-nicholson-metal-ferrule.jpg   wood-file-handle-nicholson-type-b.jpg   wood-file-handle-needle-files.jpg
  2. 11-13-2013, 02:46 PM #2
    Frank Ford's Avatar
    Frank Ford is online now Hot Rolled
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA USA
    Posts
    833

    I get 'em from Lutz File Handles and File Cleaners

    Their small Lutz # 3 handle runs me about 60 cents, a few gross at a time:

    McMaster sells small quantities.
  3. 11-13-2013, 03:50 PM #3
    L Vanice is online now Diamond
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    7,724

    I like the Lutz long ferrule file handles, but your application would do better with the short ferrule. The drilled hole for the file tang is in proportion to the handle size. You can choose handles with 3/16 or 1/4 pilots.

    About twenty miles down the road from me is the Crook-Miller Co. in Hicksville, OH. They used to make file handles, but I don't know if they still do. There is a surplus dealer next door and I used to buy file handles there, which I suppose were from the neighboring factory. They specialized in ash handles, but the local ash supply has been ruined by emerald ash borers, a nasty bug. Thousands of ash trees have been cut down in Fort Wayne, and it is illegal to take ash wood across state lines around here. Anyway, a phone call or email would get an answer.

    Baker McMillen Company

    Larry
  4. 11-13-2013, 04:01 PM #4
    richard newman is online now Hot Rolled
    Jul 2006
    Location
    rochester, ny
    Posts
    847

    There are a bunch of wood turning companies in Maine that make handles and dowels and such in large quantities and very inexpensively. Kinda far away, but maybe worth checking out. There should be similar types of outfits a bit closer to you I'd think.

    America's Dowel Maker | Saunders Brothers
    Maine Wood Concepts - Wood Tool Handle and Wooden Tool Handles
  5. 11-13-2013, 04:33 PM #5
    L Vanice is online now Diamond
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    7,724

    Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    There are a bunch of wood turning companies in Maine that make handles and dowels and such in large quantities and very inexpensively. Kinda far away, but maybe worth checking out. There should be similar types of outfits a bit closer to you I'd think.

    America's Dowel Maker | Saunders Brothers
    Maine Wood Concepts - Wood Tool Handle and Wooden Tool Handles
    Maine Wood is the current maker of the Lutz handles (founded 1904). Maine Wood is "over 40 years" old. I have older Lutz handles with an address of Cin. OH stamped on them.

    Larry
  6. 11-13-2013, 05:09 PM #6
    surplusjohn is online now Diamond
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Syracuse, NY USA
    Posts
    8,946

    the guys in maine are incredibly cheap for small wood parts. years ago we bought an odd size hard wood dowel, they were like just under 3/8 x 1 inch, with a special end. they were maybe a penney each and came in burlap bags, very old timey.
  7. 11-13-2013, 05:37 PM #7
    MountainGoat is online now Aluminum
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Overland Park, Kansas
    Posts
    113

    I buy all of mine on E-Bay

  • [machinist] Source for low cost wooden handles?, Lawrence London, 11/13/2013