machinist - [machinist] Throw-Away Bit Installation On Aloris Parting Blades

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Throw-Away Bit Installation On Aloris Parting Blades
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 20:44:20 -0500

Throw-Away Bit Installation On Aloris Parting Blades
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/throw-away-bit-installation-aloris-parting-blades-260131/

  1. steve45 is online now Aluminum
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    190

    I've got an Aloris parting tool with brazed-in bits (which I've managed to tear up). I've been reading the proper techniques to getting these to work. Anyway, I need to get more bits and saw that they have a bit holder that uses throw-away bits. I've got a couple of questions:

    Do these work the same as the brazed bits?

    Any special techniques?

    How do you change the bits?

    Thanks!
  2. #2
    sfriedberg is offline Stainless
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    1,414

    The inserts work well. In fact, most of them have a chip-thinning grind/mold on the top surface that works better than the brazed bits. If you hit the tool catalogs, you'll see that GTx inserts and blades are an industry standard (GFx is similar but not interchangeable, VSX is propietary) and available from lots of sources other than Alori$. The Aloris toolblocks that directly hold a blade are nice (I have a DTM version), but there are also standardized blade holders that fit into a regular #1 or #2 QC toolblock.

    The bits are changed by inserting a tool into the hole at the narrow end of the taper, and rotating the oval tool to pop the insert out. The tool is a couple of bucks, and you can improvise with a screwdriver or similar in a pinch.
  3. #3
    bridgedog is online now Plastic
    Feb 2012
    Location
    southern Or.
    Posts
    34

    My Iscar with GT inserts was the best thing I have done in a long time.
  4. #4
    PixMan's Avatar
    PixMan is offline Diamond
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central MA USA
    Posts
    4,052

    I heard Iscar has or is going to discontinue the GTL, GTN, and GTR single-ended inserts and blades in favor of their new "Tang-Grip" stuff. Get them while you can!
  5. #5
    bridgedog is online now Plastic
    Feb 2012
    Location
    southern Or.
    Posts
    34

    I hope there will be inserts available for a while as I just bought # 2,3 and 4 blades and 10 each inserts.
  6. #6
    sfriedberg is offline Stainless
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    1,414

    Iscar is by no means the only source for GTx inserts. They will be available for a long time, even though they are a couple of generations behind the "latest thing".

  • [machinist] Throw-Away Bit Installation On Aloris Parting Blades, Lawrence London, 02/07/2013