machinist - [machinist] [Fwd: [approtech] Welcome to the Appropriate Technology forum!]

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] [Fwd: [approtech] Welcome to the Appropriate Technology forum!]
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 23:39:02 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 23:07:38 -0500
From: Lawrence F. London, Jr. <lflj@intrex.net>
To: approtech@lists.ibiblio.org

I'll lead off with a few comments about some of my interests in approtech
and some other projects on the web that are related.

I have a 6 acre market farm, shown here:
http://venaurafarm.blogspot.com/

I also have a shop with all sorts of fab equipment. My interest is in human
powered wheeled devices for market farmers
and homestead gardeners and hand gardening toolss of all sorts. Maybe i'll
think of other things to experiment with but
that's it for now.

I now can offer a machinist mailing list for your use. This will cover
anything metal-related from welding to turning to
blacksmithing to grinding and more. The emphasis will be on using
metalworking shop tools and equipment SAFELY.

Go here to subscribe:

I also have webspace for anything machine shop related, i.e. all topics
covered by the machinist list, located here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/machineshop

I will develop a wiki, blog, web forums, website and home for the machinist
and approtech lists in this websspace.

Here are a number of machinist and metalworking forum resources on the web
that you might benefit from:

Practical Machinist
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/index.php

Home Shop Machinist
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/

Wikipedia on the vernier scale
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernier_scale

Wikipedia on the micrometer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micrometer_%28device%29

Wikipedia on the caliper
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliper

Wikipedia on measurement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measurement

Metalillness.com
http://www.bbssystem.com/index.php

The Home Machinist!
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/index.php

FRETS.COM - Machine shop
© Frank Ford
incredible how-to & ideas resource
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/index.html

CNCZone Forums
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/index.php?s=d38029c0363c28bb874e9ba85ea50c71

OTHERPOWER.COM Bulletin Board
http://www.fieldlines.com/section/news/

Otherpower
http://www.otherpower.com/

Wondermagnet
http://www.wondermagnet.com/

Craigslist for local shopping for used tools and equipment
http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites.html

Vocational Information Center Machining Resurces
Resources for machining, machining tutorials, metals and metalworking are
found on this page.
This is a valuable and important website for mmachinists and metalworkers,
truly encyclopedic in scope,
a resource to be used every day.
http://www.khake.com/page88.html

Virtual Machine Shop
Another valuable machinist educational resources
Welcome to the Virtual Machine Shop
machine tool training and instruction online supported by you!
Lathes, Milling Machines, CNC, CAD/CAM, Metallurgy, Metrology, Tooling,
Grinding, Work Holding, EDM, Molds, Dies,
Foundry, Forge, Sawing, Gun Drilling,
* 400 pages of instruction
* 600 graphic images
* 100 animations
* 100 videosinstructio
<Click here to view the library of topics>
The Virtual Machine Shop (VMS) is a web site dedicated to the perpetuation of
machine tool knowledge and training. This
project is designed and maintained by volunteers from industry and academia
and is free to everyone. Please feel free to
learn here. Please feel free to teach here. The VMS is supported by donations
(a donation of as little as $2.00 helps
keep this site going).
http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/

Halls Safety Equipment