livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] about her

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: John D'hondt <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] about her
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 20:08:33 +0100

We are completely of one mind on that Paul.
But I was thinking of a possible/ planned re-location.
I have done that myself a few times and recently at the beginning of this year. Even if it is only about 25 miles away from the old place it is  rough new start with many of the same problems we saw before such as infertile soil and millions of slugs and many completely new problems such as much drier conditions, about 1/3 of the rain, and no surface water to be seen for a mile around.
To make the old place fertile took more than 6 years. We can probably do it in the new place in half the time but it is still an enormous effort.
I am digging a well by hand at the moment. I expect to hit ground water at a bit over 3 meters deep and I got to about 2 meters now. And I have hit the "blue till" consisting of clay and gravel with big stones (40-60 kilos so far) embedded in it. It looks like concrete and is about as hard but quite permeable. It holds no water. Deeper down I expect stones of half a ton or more.
When you work like that you need a bit of good luck, which is what I am wishing for you.
John