livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 10 Leafy Greens That Are Healthier Than Kale

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: John D'hondt <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 10 Leafy Greens That Are Healthier Than Kale
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 18:31:33 +0100

In my humble opinion it is dangerous to elevate any single vegetable to supreme star status.
If you were to eat kale morning, noon and night and nothing else you would soon have thyroid problems since the cabbage tribe to which kale belongs suppresses uptake of iodine.
Eat nothing but spinach and you would soon pickle yourself in too much oxalic acid.

Reality is that almost all plants will resist being eaten to excess by producing chemicals that will be toxic to consumers. And this is also the case with whole grains that are deliberately very short in one essential amino acid (lysine) and that produce phytates that block uptake of essential trace minerals in the eater. In the case of cereals this can be overcome by a long fermentation process that was traditionally used (sour dough/long dough) but that is not so good for optimal fast profits and so is seldom done these days.

I can only say that it is important to eat a wide variety of different greens and not to forget that there are many super healthy wild plants out there that are generally considered weeds that can be profitably included in our diet.
John

10 Leafy Greens That Are Healthier Than Kale

http://www.alternet.org/food/10-leafy-greens-are-healthier-kale