livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Has the farmers market movement peaked? MORE

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: herb farmer <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Has the farmers market movement peaked? MORE
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 00:36:03 -0700

Another indication of the problem we've seen: more markets without more real growers tempts market managers to allow "resellers" or "crafts" or non-local produce just to keep up vendor fees enough to keep the markets going.  Customers start realizing it's the same stuff as the grocery, so why bother - or they won't show up for a stupid flea market. So we're more & more limited to the one genuine local market, out of a dozen in the general area. Our market had to ban one outfit that turned out to be nothing but a distributor for "orgqanic" produce from the Central Valley in California.