livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Review: The Market Gardener by Jean-Martin Fortier

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Review: The Market Gardener by Jean-Martin Fortier
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 10:36:55 -0600

Review: The Market Gardener by Jean-Martin Fortier now in English
http://www.resilience.org/stories/2014-07-09/review-the-market-gardener-by-jean-martin-fortier

Lots to see & germinate ideas here, in cold Quebec. They learned a lot from Eliot Coleman & built on that (as did I, much smaller scale). In their pictures I notice they use wide row methods rather than permanent beds, but still much more space efficient than industrial tractor rows. They aren't no-till & employ quite a few types of equipment & paid labor, which all cuts into the profit margin. But the average market grower still won't have $40,000 to start out, & the learning curve can mean little or no income while ramping up production. All in all, they're making a contribution to the movement.

https://www.facebook.com/marketgardenerthebook

  • [Livingontheland] Review: The Market Gardener by Jean-Martin Fortier, tradingpost, 10/01/2014