livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Why women in India are farming with diverse plants – and without pesticides

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Why women in India are farming with diverse plants – and without pesticides
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 07:55:57 -0400

On 06/23/2014 10:11 PM, tradingpost wrote:
53A8DE34.3010304@lobo.net" type="cite">Good on chemicals. Most growers don't suspect the reason they can't rely on natural predators to handle bugs.  When aphids start appearing in our spinach & kale, ladybugs just show up from nowhere. No poisons to deter them.  ~paul

I've just seen an excellent example of the phenomenon, Paul. I was seeing more potato beetle activity in my potato plantings than I usually do. So I monitored the beds closely to keep that early population from exploding, removing both adults and the little dull red larvae at all stages daily--squish! Then, about a week ago--no more larvae. Not one, in any of the plantings. And haven't seen a one since. Obviously it took awhile for the predator populations to catch up, but once they did, the natural control was complete.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us