livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Climate change is going to fundamentally change growing conditions in markets & countries we source #food from

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Climate change is going to fundamentally change growing conditions in markets & countries we source #food from
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 20:42:17 +0100

Of course there are possible solutions to avoid the worst. India is working to turn massive amounts of sunlight into electricity for instance. If this were done on a global scale we could buy ourselves all the time we need. In a worst case scenario this electricity could be used to power lasers that could energise some far away colony in space.
Unfortunately the military industrial-oil complex does not like this sort of thinking and there is every chance that India may find it hard to build what they need without getting droned or other "terrorist" setbacks.
Is David Icke right in saying that our "leaders" are really reptilian sociopaths that want to wipe us all out even if they themselves get killed in the process?

In the mean time we can better concentrate on growing food under difficult circumstances.
John
Yeah. There's a lot of "reformist" level activism & so on out there, but I pass it on anyway for those who aren't ready to digest the hard stuff. As the alien intelligence told Jodi Foster in Contact: "small steps, Sparks, small steps". Now I don't normally read this stuff at bedtime, but just do what I know, learn to grow food under poor conditions. And I certainly don't know how to prepare for all the things coming.

Some more hard stuff:

from http://guymcpherson.com/2013/01/climate-change-summary-and-update/
   "On the topic of tipping points, we crossed the Rubicon in 2007 at about 0.76 C warming".
   " An increasing number of scientists agree that warming of 4 to 6 C causes a dead planet. And, they go on to say, we’ll be there much sooner than most people realize."

Preparing For Near-Term Extinction, By Carolyn Baker
http://www.carolynbaker.net/2013/05/07/preparing-for-near-term-extinction-by-carolyn-baker/

On a planet 4C hotter, all we can prepare for is extinction
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/aug/11/climatechange

In Defense of Inaction, by Dave Pollard
http://www.collapsingintoconsciousness.com/in-defense-of-inaction-by-dave-pollard/#more-5034

Let This Earth Day Be The Last
http://www.thenation.com/blog/179375/let-earth-day-be-last

How We Should Live In The Face Of Catastrophic Climate Change, A Conversation With Carolyn Baker And Andrew Harvey
http://www.carolynbaker.net/2014/04/16/how-we-should-live-in-the-face-of-catastrophic-climate-change-a-conversation-with-carolyn-baker-and-andrew-harvey/

*** To me this is some of the finest writing ever published, and it answers the hardest question, what to do if we realize the end is coming - instead of despair. By Carolyn Baker
   When Surrender Means Not Giving Up: The New Sacred Activism,
http://www.carolynbaker.net/2014/05/27/when-surrender-means-not-giving-up-the-new-sacred-activism-by-carolyn-baker/
   "... we must open to the “dark night of collective humanity’s soul” and live as if every act, every task performed in daily life, every kindness expressed to another being and to oneself might be the last. This is one way I stay connected with the light in dark times. Walking in reverence, living contemplatively with gratitude, generosity, compassion, service, and an open heart that is willing to be broken over and over again. I do not always live the way I want to live. It’s a practice, and practice never makes perfect. Practice only makes practice, and if I think it’s perfect, I’m not practicing. Nevertheless, I’d rather stumble in the dark, finding an occasional candle to light the way, than become blinded by incandescent heroism. And so in this time of unprecedented darkness, find the light whenever possible, but most importantly, be the light for someone else who may not be as familiar with the darkness as you are—and be willing to admit yourself to planetary hospice at the same time that you commit to being a hospice worker for the earth community. That may be why you came here, and that is the New Sacred Activism.