livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Think You Know What a Farmer Looks Like?ThinkAgain

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Think You Know What a Farmer Looks Like?ThinkAgain
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 22:24:19 +0100

Sorry for my black, cynical joke Paul. I just noticed that the article was completely about women farmers and I have nothing against women farmers. Women are special in farming. Where men can lift more weight for a short time it are the women that keep going until everything is done that needs to be done. I am sitting here at the PC and my wife is feeding calves in the barn as an example. (22:19 p.m. here)
It is just that when we focus on women (and all the pictures were of white women) we may forget that the vast majority of farmers and farm workers on this planet are not white. And if we could all work together whatever the sex or the race it would be an ideal world.
John

I doubt it, for example there's a well known black former basketballer in Chicago growing in a food desert

Think You Know What a Farmer Looks Like? Think Again
http://www.yesmagazine.org/new-economy/think-you-know-what-a-farmer-looks-like-think-again

---