livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Don’t Panic, Go Organic: The IPCC Report Should be a Wakeup Call for Climate-Smart Food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Don’t Panic, Go Organic: The IPCC Report Should be a Wakeup Call for Climate-Smart Food
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 13:19:18 -0600

a great read, & she uses a phrase I've been looking for - "climate-smart food"
of course her mother is Frances Moore Lappé
my only disagreement is she says 50 years when she should say 10-15 years. millions are already starving every day already.

Don’t Panic, Go Organic: The IPCC Report Should be a Wakeup Call for Climate-Smart Food

"... Any prescription to increase yields that ignores the need to transition to sustainable production and consumption, and to reduce rural poverty, will not only be incomplete; it may also have damaging impacts, worsening the ecological crisis and widening the gap between different categories of food producers.

"With the IPCC’s latest warnings ringing in our ears, we now have no excuse but to alert our elected leaders—from mayors to governors to heads of states—that the time for climate-smart food is now. If we don’t, we might be hearing Malthus’s name again in 50 years. But by then it will be for real."
* Anna is also author of Diet for a Hot Planet: The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork and What You Can Do about It http://www.powells.com/biblio/9781596916593?&PID=23116

& she's on Twitter https://twitter.com/annalappe

  • [Livingontheland] Don’t Panic, Go Organic: The IPCC Report Should be a Wakeup Call for Climate-Smart Food, tradingpost, 04/08/2014