livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 10 Great Organic Pesticides

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 10 Great Organic Pesticides
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 22:09:08 -0600

Hello & tnx useful info too
Jump in anytime!

On 4/2/2014 9:57 PM, Kate Spinner wrote:
I'm a huge fan of #1 - Ladybugs. I only use organic pesticides (usually neem
oil), but I use them as a last resort because I don't want to harm the
ladybugs (even soapy water can harm a ladybug). If you can get a critical
breeding mass of ladybugs to breed in your garden, they will attack your
problems before you even realize you have them. Now, if I see aphids, I
usually wait a couple days to see if they go away. If they don't, I have a
dwarf bamboo plant that has a scale problem - and a persistent team of
ladybugs that spontaneously arrived to the plant's rescue. I'll steal a
couple ladybugs or a larvae from the bamboo and put them in the area where
the aphids are proliferating. Problem solved. In the past, I also have
purchased ladybugs from the local garden supply center. They work wonders,
and often they will reproduce.