livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Drought: Feds cut water to Central Valley farmers to zero

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Drought: Feds cut water to Central Valley farmers to zero
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:47:38 -0800 (PST)

Smaller farms would be nice too - but they pretty much decided against that here a while ago. For the central valley anyway - most of the rest of the area has small farms, but I have no idea how much they produce.....

Sort of curious why the state hasn't announced an urban/surburban rationing program at this point - and why they aren't thinking about reservoirs etc. The GOP in california proposed pumping from the Sacramento river and delta, hoping to kill off the fishing industry down there - the governor rejected it, we'll see if it comes up again. I guess we'll hear more come april/may when nothing is being planted and wineries shut their doors.....

Its almost like because its winter they haven't noticed that its dry. The bees notice - I took a little solar shower up at a friends ranch out on the porch, came back an hour later and the rocks I put down were literally swarming with thirsty partying bees. Ok, thats anecdotal, but it is real dry, and weird weather.

Drought: Feds cut water to Central Valley farmers to zero
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Drought-Feds-cut-water-to-Central-Valley-farmers-5256131.php

Growing methods to conserve irrigation water, no longer optional.
Permanent beds & aisles, & mulch.