livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What's better for the farm is better for the planet

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What's better for the farm is better for the planet
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:44:29 -0600

From: tradingpost<tradingpost@lobo.net>
Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What's better for the farm is better

Along with more farmers, we might add more income from farming, at least
minimum wage --
Ironically, it's the farm income that went away, causing farmers to go away (expand or die). Americans in the early 20th century spent 1/4 to 1/2 of their income on food, plus did most of the preparation themselves. Today, it's more like 1/10th of their income (on average) and they don't put any labor into the preparation. That difference has been "havested" by the food processing corporations, and the "surplus" farm production is used to trade for the oil that enables the button-pushing lifestyle.

People are voting billions of times every day for a shadow government at the cash registers and gas pumps. What can we expect except growth of that system until it consumes itself, as all empires do.

The "EXPAND OR DIE!!" philosophy never stops to contemplate that it is also "Expand to the death."
..and as Jim Kunstler says, "Efficiency is the straightest road to Hell."

sigh,

Dan C.
Belgium, WI