livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] California’s Epic Drought

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] California’s Epic Drought
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 21:11:45 -0000

I am afraid the scientists are mostly still too optimistic Paul. I think it could get a lot worse and much faster than expected.
(I say this because I sometimes talk to more than average pessimistic scientists. The worst of these now predict global extinction events (of humans) well within the next 15 years)
John
I've been reluctant to get into this but it's past time, I think. From now on it's all about the food and water. Welcome to living on the land.

Leading Scientists Explain How #Climate Change Is Worsening California’s Epic Drought http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/01/31/3223791/climate-change-california-drought/

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

excerpt:

Remarkably, climate scientists specifically predicted a decade ago that Arctic ice loss would bring on worse droughts in the West, especially California. As it turns out, Arctic ice loss has been much faster than the researchers — and indeed all climate modelers — expected.

And, of course, California is now in the death-grip of a brutal, record-breaking drought, driven by the very change in the jet stream that scientists had anticipated. Is this just an amazing coincidence — or were the scientists right? And what would that mean for the future? Building on my post from last summer, I talked to the lead researcher and several other of the world’s leading climatologists and drought experts.