livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Living on this little island

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Living on this little island
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 21:55:40 -0000

I like your ideas very much Dan but I see a few problems in trying to realise them.

The herd are not just consumers, they are also television watchers and I don't think they ever show on television how many people here in West Cork or in most parts of the world live. The interiors of all the houses in glossy magazines don't look a bit to what I am used to and people here on these muddy farms don't dress like what they are told to aspire for.
Maybe we could start with publishing something that gives a different view of reality?

Let us also not forget that religions are not at all forgiving for those who think or do their own thing. Danger here!

Maybe if we think hard we can come up with something to effect a change?

A few months ago I saw a short video by an American comic who gave a means to spoil the NSA's spying on all of us. He thought that we should all include some terrorist talk in all the phone calls and emails we send. It was brilliantly funny but I have seen nobody yet brave enough to go for it. A pity.
Another disappointment with the spies is that they must know all about elite pedophile rings and other depraved and highly illigal activities from big bankers and politicians but never a word do they release out about these things. (This idea from John Rappoport).
So I'll just blow up one more bridge today and then off to bed! If you don't hear from me again I may have been droned :)

John

"I wanted to physically make the world a better place," Janes said.
With his family's help, he bought 40 acres of forested land on Denman
Island. It came with two trailers.
The problem isn't the world, it's the herd. You don't have to
improve the world, you have to turn the direction of the herd. The point
of civilization is to isolate and drive the herd into a corral and teach
them to consume purchased products. The money from those purchases
constitutes our democratic voting process.
If you want Change, keep it in your pocket. You don't have to
isolate yourself from the herd, and in fact doing so is less effective
than staying in the herd and spreading the consciousness that
consumerism is killing the future. Nobody is going to listen to a nut
job on an island, but they will listen to Warren Buffet when he buys a
used car instead of a new one and lives in a modest home when he doesn't
have to. They will listen to a neighbor who always seems content with
life more than one fighting for a rung on a ladder.
The next step is turning the herd completely around, to where the
goal of humans is to contribute to the natural world rather than extract
from it.

The crux of the problem is that Consumerism is THE religious basis
for our civilization. Capitalism could still take place based on
generosity to nature instead of extraction, but the opposite end of the
labor/owner dichotomy would benefit.

Imagine a company where the CEO's job is to serve the employees' needs
in order to get their work done tending a world for the sake of their
children. The highest profit would be a permaculture type of place in
the world where individuals are free to pursue useful interests, rather
than trying to kill each other for the last dried bean.

What a concept, eh?

Ideologically, it sounds impossible, but logically, we have all of the
tools and systems in place. We just don't have the awareness or the will
because people have been kept living in the dark for so long. Many need
a kick in the pants, but most just need a flashlight to find their own
keys. The desire for a private island is just another tool used to get
people to work harder for a weekend off (or a retirement doing anything
but what they are trained for).

Dan C.
Belgium, WI