livingontheland - [Livingontheland] One Community at a Time: A New Mexico Network of Food Hubs

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] One Community at a Time: A New Mexico Network of Food Hubs
  • Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 20:15:54 -0700

I found this in our area - the latest and greatest farm trend which raises more questions than it answers. Still, the writer is good at hyping it without providing any actual details that would recommend it.

One Community at a Time: A New Mexico Network of Food Hubs
http://www.mrcog-nm.gov/local-food/local-food-blog/1035-dec-2013-nm-food-hubs
https://afsc.org/story/afsc-new-mexico-creating-food-hubs-across-state

I can't tell who's funding all this but suspect it's not our farmers market growers who struggle to break even selling locally direct to customers. And I have to wonder whether any growers would find this profitable or doable or scalable without the "support" of outside funding. There's the issue of why sell direct to cut out the middleman - the grocery distributors - only to substitute another, the "hub". And the question of what happens to local community customer-to-farmer contact when you haul produce halfway across the state. Then of course we have no way of guessing which growers are feeding us Roundup and 2-4-D and so forth.

This sort of thing has been hyped elsewhere in the U.S. but details may vary.
paul tradingpost@lobo.net

  • [Livingontheland] One Community at a Time: A New Mexico Network of Food Hubs, tradingpost, 12/03/2013