livingontheland - [Livingontheland] GROW BIOINTENSIVE: A Beginner's Guide -- Introduction VIDEO

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] GROW BIOINTENSIVE: A Beginner's Guide -- Introduction VIDEO
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 21:59:44 -0700

GROW BIOINTENSIVE: A Beginner's Guide -- Introduction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPeAvYrfKkU

When they mention (barely) that biointensive is solution to some of our biggest environmental challenges, they should explain the reasons. They mention water conservation but don't go into detail about using half of the other resources and amendments for the same size garden, or how it reduces both fossil fuel inputs and CO2 emissions - yet can easily produce at least 2-3 times as much. All this is explained in Jeavons' books. Yes, the biggest resource and climate challenges. We're rushing right off the cliff. And it's Big agricuture that wastes more resources and is worse for climate than anything else. Mainstream scientists and USDA are clueless as to how to stop or reverse the damages. Well, follow the money.

Another thing not in this introduction is the fact that production is better because the growing soil for roots isn't compacted by walking on it, needing less and less cultivation. Permanent beds and aisles. No resource waste or CO2 (or expense) from machinery, and less ground to weed. LESS WORK. I'm not even going into the advantages of food sovereignty and local control of food and prices. Survivalists haven't even thought of this.

The economics of biointensive is the best part. Plenty of sources say it's fine for a backyard hobby but nothing else. In my experience it's the only practical approach to growing enough for substantial market income on a little land. Tractor row growing demands too much land and machinery, is too expensive for profit margins, and falls into the same trap of fossil fuel waste (fertilizer, pesticides, gas), soil loss, and CO2 levels as destructive Big Ag methods. If I listen to Big Ag with an avg nationwide 2% return on investment, I'll be out of business. I like 800% return a lot better.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

  • [Livingontheland] GROW BIOINTENSIVE: A Beginner's Guide -- Introduction VIDEO, tradingpost, 11/21/2013