livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Additions to TheModernHomestead.US (OT)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Additions to TheModernHomestead.US (OT)
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 12:09:43 -0500

In case anyone on the list wants to look at the new pages on my site:

For years I've offered "In the Shadow of the Hawk," an article which looks at poultry predators as we have experienced and dealt with them. Now I've added 3 new pages in the Poultry>Predators section:

“Getting along with Predators” is a good overview of predator issues, more comprehensive than "In the Shadow of the Hawk." It starts with an appreciation of the crucial role predators play in a balanced, healthy ecology, and argues that wisely supporting their good work while protecting our poultry from attack comes down to: "The best offense is a good defense." This article discusses management for deterrence (housing and ranging the flock) and the nature and modus operandi of potential predators.
    http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Getting+along+with+Predators.html

“The Usual Suspects” is a brief discussion of the more common predators and the signs they typically leave behind following an attack. “Reading the kill” can help identify the predator involved.
    http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/The+Usual+Suspects.html

Protecting the flock is much more a matter of paying attention, learning about our local predators, and common sense than about buying solutions to predator problems. A few available options might be useful in your context, however, and “Purchased Aids for Predator Defense” discusses three of them (Nite Guard, automatic door opener-closer, and electronet).
    http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Aids+for+Predator+Defense.html

Hope the new stuff is helpful. Enjoy.

~Harvey
--