livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] New mushroom section on TheModernHomestead.US

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] New mushroom section on TheModernHomestead.US
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 09:40:06 -0500

On 01/30/2013 06:03 PM, John D'hondt wrote:
I have tried mushrooms and failed. We used to have a plentiful supply of wild mushrooms. Not seen any for years out in the open. An odd parasol in the tunnels from time to time.Seems that they don't like constant wet and low temperatures.
Any ideas please?
john

John, I haven't had to grow mushrooms in those conditions so can't advise.

The shiitake I grow have a definite season--they grow in the growing season (mid-spring thru early fall) only. But the wild oyster mushrooms around here do "flush" during a mild spell in the middle of the winter--I just ate a small batch a week or two ago.

Do you know anyone who is cultivating mushrooms there (Ireland, right?)? If so, what species are they growing?

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book The Small-Scale Poultry Flock was published by Chelsea Green in October, 2011. Check it out at
http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_smallscale_poultry_flock:paperback