livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] How to Grow All Your Food on a Tenth of, an Acre

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] How to Grow All Your Food on a Tenth of, an Acre
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 11:26:44 -0600

I agree, Paul. Not nearly enough talk about the community aspect and the commons getting involved (either in some economic exchange format (capitalism) or communally). These types of articles, whether intentionally or not, play on the 'individual' meme of self-sufficiency which sells magazines, rototillers and guns.

I fall for it all the time because I'm a misanthrope in general, even as I logically see the need for communal cooperation.
You can't grow all of your own food as an individual. You gotta sleep sometime and that's when the critters come out (two-, four- and multi-legged kinds, as well as 'zombies').

Any food source should be seen as a security issue (a target) as much as a resource, and people need to 'get over themselves' quickly. We have to stop putting humans up on a pedestal vs. the other animals, not because of any particular moral 'rights', but because of our natural co-dependencies and future needs that depend on cooperation with nature and each other, rather than conquering the environment which feeds us.

Whether market gardening or living on our own food, there is a minimum amount of social and environmental stability that we have taken for granted. When anything disrupts the status quo, then those things that are dependent on stability such as property rights, public and personal safety, energy sources, and even what can be considered conveniences become critical to survival. We elect governments to keep things settled and moving smoothly, but when things are moving smoothly, we take for granted that the basics will remain (law enforcement, transportation, etc) and 'civilized' people end up forgetting how and why they invented civilization in the first place.

None of us are an island of 1/10 of an acre.

Borders are only defined as long as we have a system to define them, and defining them requires cooperation, even if it is to defend a larger border.

In short (I know: too late ;-), "growing all your food on 1/10 of an acre" is a nice utopian hobby in perfect weather, but nobody's going to LIVE there.

Dan C.
Belgium, WI