livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] (")OWL(") Cultivating New Farmers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org, OWL-OldWaysLiving@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] (")OWL(") Cultivating New Farmers
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 21:40:01 -0700

Have to find one problem with that but it's a biggie. They all help to learn
farming but they forgot to cover the "make a living" part of it. Trust me,
that's the hard part. I'm suspecting those who survive do it by relying on
cheap labor from volunteers, grants, or family members. Or they have family
land paid off long ago. The cost of good farmland puts farming out of reach
for almost all aspiring farmers. No healthcare or retirement benefits of
course. My own goal is more realistic, to supplement retirement with cost
effective growing for great customers, on a small plot that just came with
the house. And millions of others can find this doable too.