livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] harvest moon

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] harvest moon
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 22:34:34 +0100

We try never to have the land bare Paul. So as soon as the potato, quinoa and corn harvests are in we plant with kale(s), winter lettuce(s), beetroot, spinach, lambs lettuce, turnips and swedes,Japanese radishes, and some mustards like giant red and oak leaf and oriental mustards like mizuna and mibuna and green in snow. I probably forgot a few.
Winters are ever more unpredictable here. Two years ago we had arctic conditions for two months leading to massive dying of thousands of birds that usually come here from the far North to overwinter. Our main problem as always is lack of light and sunshine. Short days and lots of cloud cover. Not so much really cold temperatures although we usually have a period of hard frost lasting a week or longer between now and April. It is hard to predict.We had some years that I could garden in short pants in January. Some years are constant rain. Anyway, the moment average dayly temperatures drop below 6 C serious growth is finished and ruminants have to be fed or they would starve. The vegetables that are there will have a growth stop but will usually survive and put on new growth when temperatures rise.
At the moment average temperatures are still above 10 C.
John

So if you have winter crops there I'm curious what kind of crops & how severe a winter. Dec thru Feb pretty much shuts us down here. What I can do in early spring has to be under protection inside or outside greenhouses.