livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Laughing Loon Farms: The effects of weather on a first-year farm

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org, OWL-OldWaysLiving@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Laughing Loon Farms: The effects of weather on a first-year farm
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 21:32:26 -0600

"Most beginning farmers are one hailstorm, flood, or tornado away from going
out of business"

That statement was from Dayna Burtness after disaster struck the farm. The
interview ends by asking for donations to recover. Donations??? I sympathise
with hard work lost, but I grew up in East TX cotton/cattle country & never
knew a real farmer who'd dream of taking charity.

My position now is smaller scale operations can be protected from most
weather/climate changes by better planning, and I'm taking steps in that
direction here.

http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2012/07/laughing_loon_farms_the_effects_of_weather_on_a_first_year_farm.php

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

  • [Livingontheland] Laughing Loon Farms: The effects of weather on a first-year farm, Tradingpost, 07/16/2012