livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] nettles

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] nettles
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 23:03:48 +0100

Well, I happen to drink fresh nettle juice and eat and use nettles in a good many ways. And I too have read that it is/was used as a rennet substitute. Only it does not do anything there for me. Normal rennet works in a minute or two. I have tried nettle juice for days and still nothing.
Same with woodruff, milkweed and a dozen other recommended plant juices. Nada, nothing...

What I wanted to say is that there is a lot of nonsense being told and written in books and on line. If you have ambitions to make cheese then you better try it out before TSHTF. Not necessarily that you have to start slaughtering innocent babies but you might actually try to curdle milk by adding fresh home made nettle juice and see what happens so that you are not going to waste valuable time when it counts most.
We have many cheese makers here in Ireland and afaik they all buy their rennet from big industrial sources. They would loose their license if they did anything else. We did that as well but when that rennet supply stops as it did for us; you can't buy it any longer without a license, (and you can't get a license if you do anything else but make cheese) you need to be able to find an alternative or stop making cheese.

For most of you that is something you have not even thought about doing. But for us it is an essential part of surviving since we can't grow enough vegetable source protein or fat here but have to rely on grass and thus ruminants that can make use of it.
john

Drink fresh nettle juice. The juice was once used to curdle milk. NETTLE FACTS

I have never tried this to curdle cheese but I have seen milkweed and nettle mentioned many times to make cheese as a rennet substitute. Here in Texas nettles are a common weed found just about everywhere.

Bob C