livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Can Anything Save the Drying Southwest?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Can Anything Save the Drying Southwest?
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 15:32:22 -0700 (PDT)

Part of the problem with the Southwest is that colonists cut down a couple of forests the size of the lower half of Ireland along the Texas Gulf coast.  In fact, they are industriously cutting down the rest of "Ireland" if you take my meaning.  Those coastal forests are/were a critical part of the continental hydrocycle.  All of Texas is a little dryer than it once was.  Even as far in as New Mexico and Arizona, there are key plant and animal cycles that seem to have stopped running even before industrialized Ag got up and moving.  They are at the end of the conveyor belt of humidity,  Even if very little reached that far, in the deserts of the Southwest that little bit means a lot.

To save the delicate system of that region we need to be planting in my region, which would also benefit my own region greatly.  Not that anyone has even talked about the need much publically as yet.  Everybody in North America seems to be under the dazzlingly stupid impression that the Brazilian Jungles are all we need to run the whole planet.  They are only thinking about the oxygen cycle.  Too reductive as always.

Yours, Pego

Stop industrial agriculture and plant drought resistant shrubs and trees?
john