livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] everbearing strawberries

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Barbara Money <bmoney9@verizon.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] everbearing strawberries
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 13:58:42 -0400

I'm growing Ozark Beauty ever bearers, and this is their second year. I got a decent amount of fruit last year, and they bore right up to frost. We cut down a pine so it's less shady this year. I'm hoping for more and larger fruit. Of course, I'm in New England and we usually get plenty of rain. I mulched with straw, and during a recent dry spell this spring, watered a few times with the water I soak my minis' hay in. It seems to be very nutritious for plants!

Why did you select the Quinalt variety? I got Ozarks because that was the only everbearer I knew about at the time, and that most suppliers carried. I might have chosen a different one if I knew more, as I understand they are not resistant to red stele, though I haven't had a problem. Ants and slugs on the other hand...

Barbara M
Foster, RI

--
"Animals Are A Gift"