livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] *** SPAM ***Livingontheland Digest, Vol 344, Issue 2

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] *** SPAM ***Livingontheland Digest, Vol 344, Issue 2
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:48:36 -0500

Yes, exactly.
I'm reading a book called "Survivors" by Rawles right now.
One instance of the dialog puts it quite succinctly: "If you aren't growing food and livestock, you are going to die."
(in the context of a community trying to survive Collapse).

I think Will Allen is trying to invest most of the available support he has (and that's quite a bit, including his own money) into finding some of those same answers you seek, so that others don't have to create such a huge infrastructure for the various useful ideas. Some of the universities are doing so, and I have a friend in Ohio turning parking lots into gardens also, working with people with special needs. At this rate, we may end up where the fringe of our society becomes the core of our society. That's how evolution works after a dieoff, but the mental picture we are taught is that the "normal" part of the population 'adapts', rather than dies.
No self-respecting scientist wants to tell the mean Mean that their idea of life is doomed from the start: just because they are inherently adapted to a slower changing niche and spend most of their efforts trying to keep it from changing.

Dan C
Belgium, WI