livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Pastured poultry and livestock farm has apprentice position available (OT)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Pastured poultry and livestock farm has apprentice position available (OT)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:56:22 -0500

I am circulating this notice on behalf of Jesse Straight, a friend and farmer in my part of northern Virginia. Jesse's farm is near Warrenton, Virginia, and he is looking for an apprentice for the period May 1, 2012 through Thanksgiving 2012.

Here is Jesse's description of the apprenticeship:

    We are looking for a person who is incredibly hard working, cheerful, coachable, professional, and interested in learning the work and business of sustainable pasture-based farming!
    Work includes:
    Working and learning all aspects of pasture-raised chickens, hens, turkeys, pigs, and beef cattle operation--you will do and learn all aspects of farming and of business.  This will generally entail 60% of your time.  We process our own poultry.  We will do around 5,000 chickens, 550 laying hens, 500 turkeys, 40 pigs, and 15 head of cattle.
    Working and learning in home-renovation business.  This will entail the other 40% of your time.  (This is a great skill to have for you to eventually transition into your own farm business!)
    We will generally work 70+ hours/week.  Sundays we only do necessary chores.
    We will provide housing and stipend.
Please contact us for an application:
JesseStraight@gmail.com
(540) 349-3099.
Thank you,
Jesse Straight

Please forward this notice to anyone you know who is seeking such an apprenticeship. Thanks.

~Harvey
--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book The Small-Scale Poultry Flock was recently published by Chelsea Green. Check it out at
http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_smallscale_poultry_flock:paperback

  • [Livingontheland] Pastured poultry and livestock farm has apprentice position available (OT), Harvey Ussery, 02/13/2012