livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] learn to live on the land

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] learn to live on the land
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 02:07:18 -0800 (PST)

I like much of this article's points, however, there was certainly a goodly chunk of revisionism going on in the article. Enough that the author is clearly attempting to force people to chose Republicans over actual history.  Nothing against them, but doing so on disinformation is not helpful either.

First, this was certainly NOT the first time we have been in a debt greater than our GDP.  The first time, when our nascent government borrowed from overseas to press the war of Independence and to jump-start our nation, which is now not of much consequences except in it's general implication.  The second time, that I am aware of, was when when we bookended the Great Depression with the second World War.  Prior to the war, Roosevelt had managed to flip the depression over with an extremely aggressive jobs program.  He even employed people to wander around and record traditional musicians in every backwater of the country.  He was already in debt from the Hoover years and maintained debt levels in the same ballpark all the way out of the depression gripping the country, however the debt gates were cut loose when we got involved in WWII.  It was the fist time that a Democrat presided over a major debt increase.  Roosevelt was followed by Truman and Eisenhower, both of whom managed over a splendid debt decrease with the benefit of a fiercely unionised, jobs and workers-oriented economy.  These were the only 2 Republicans in modern history that have managed a major national debt decrease.  Kennedy and LBJ  managed as much of a decrease as the previous admins, Nixon/Ford achieved a slight decrease and so did Carter.  Reagan initiated the end of fiscal conservatism, replacing it with fiscal handouts to the largest businesses and beginning our political culture of blame.  Every Republican since has gravely increased debt and sluiced tax money and tax breaks into big business pay-offs that have been made legal by our legislative branch.  Obama is only the second Democrat to increase our debt, and for precisely the same reason as Roosevelt, which is in simultaneously managing 2 wars that have progressed for more than twice as long as any previous war and to salvage a brutally savaged, depressed, economy at the same time.

I don't like a number of Obama's decisions, primarily the one where he is giving money to the businesses that deep-sixed our economy, and the one where he has not managed to get a major jobs bill out the door, except for road building (which at least gained the support of the oil and construction lobbies)  Nor have I cared for the upkeep of the Oil wars.  War is the least Jobs building use of tax money there is.

Yours, Pego

<<this would be off topic except for what it implies. this is why we need the skills & preparation to make a living with the necessities of life, like food, shelter, transportation, community. in other words, learn to live on the land long term, with a much lower level of technology and resource consumption

24 Stats To Crush Anyone Who Thinks America Has A Bright Economic Future
Michael Snyder, The Economic Collapse | Jan. 13, 2012, 9:28 AM |

http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-snyder-economic-collapse-2012-1 >>