livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Harvey's Coming Presentations, January - March (OT)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Harvey's Coming Presentations, January - March (OT)
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 09:44:11 -0500

In the next few months I will give presentations in the venues listed below. In all cases, I will offer presentations from my signature topic--whole-systems, integrated mixed poultry husbandry--and in some cases additional homesteading and small farm topics.

If interested in attending any of these presentations, please see
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Harveys+Presentations.html
for more details about the conferences and my specific presentations, and for links to register.

If you attend one of my presentations, be sure to introduce yourself--I'd love to meet you.

JANUARY 25, FARMVILLE, VIRGINIA: All-day poultry presentation with Pat Foreman, author of City Chicks. (Note that holding this event is dependent on getting a sufficient number of pre-registered participants. Registration deadline is Jan 6.)

JANUARY 28 & 29, PRINCETON, NEW JERSEY: Two presentations at the winter conference of the Northeast Organic Farming Association, New Jersey chapter:
    Chickens in the Garden: Using a Garden Flock for Tillage, Insect Control, and Making Compost
    Pastured Poultry: Finding and Serving Your Niche Market

FEBRUARY 1 THROUGH 4, STATE COLLEGE, PENNSYLVANIA:  I will participate extensively in the 2012 annual PASA conference (Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture). On Thursday, Feb 2, I will present an all-day track, an overview of the modern homestead, assisted by Kate Hunter, author of the blog Living the Frugal Life, and on Friday and Saturday, Feb 3 and 4, four additional workshops:
    The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: Holistic Poultry Husbandry for the Productive, Integrated Homestead
    Chickens in the Garden: Using a Garden Flock for Tillage, Insect Control, and Making Compost
    Trash to Treasure: Bioconversion of Organic “Wastes” to Resources
    Mushroom Cultivation for the Home and for Small Local Markets

FEBRUARY 25, LYNCHBURG, VIRGINIA: All-day presentation at Lynchburg College on my signature topic, the holistic approach to homestead poultry husbandry. (Open to the public though registration is required.)

MARCH 2-4, HENDERSONVILLE AND ASHEVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA: Three poultry presentations at the annual spring conference of the Organic Growers School:
     Friday, March 2, all-day poultry pre-conference track at Mills River Educational Farm near Hendersonville, presenting with Jim Adkins of Center for Poultry and Pat Foreman, author of City Chicks.
    Sunday, March 4, two presentations at the main conference on the University of North Carolina at Asheville campus:
            Gardening with Chickens
            Integrating Poultry into the Entire Farm (presenting with Pat Foreman)

MARCH 24, LOVETTSVILLE, VIRGINIA: Half-day presentation (afternoon) on holistic poultry management for the home and small farm at the Loudoun County Public Library in Lovettsville.

Hope to see some of you at one of the conferences!

~Harvey
--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book THE SMALL-SCALE POULTRY FLOCK (Chelsea Green) is available at
www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_smallscale_poultry_flock

  • [Livingontheland] Harvey's Coming Presentations, January - March (OT), Harvey Ussery, 12/29/2011