livingontheland - [Livingontheland] "And The Echo Follows" Brings the Food Sovereignty Movement to Life

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] "And The Echo Follows" Brings the Food Sovereignty Movement to Life
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 20:20:54 -0600

"As long as we value healthy food and cooking so much less than doctors
and hospitals, we will keep paying more and more for doctors and hospitals."
-- paul tradingpost@lobo.net

-----------------
"And The Echo Follows" Brings the Food Sovereignty Movement to Life

http://www.whyhunger.org/news-and-alerts/why-reporter/1188-qand-the-echo-followsq-brings-the-food-sovereignty-movement-to-life.html

>From the administration’s recent approval of GM alfalfa to the First Lady’s
>embrace of Wal-Mart as the latest healthy food hero, the food movement in
>the US is beginning to get riled up—and for good reason. Just as communities
>are making some headway on building local food systems, structures from
>above seem to be working extra hard to dismantle them. Words like
>“democracy,” “power,” and even “revolution” are showing up more frequently
>on food and farm listservs, undoubtedly inspired by the popular uprisings
>sweeping across northern Africa and the Middle East, many of which were
>sparked by the food price spikes of the globalized food system. This
>confluence of factors makes And the Echo Follows by Nic Paget-Clarke a
>timely arrival for those who are yearning to tackle food issues in their
>broader political context.

And the Echo Follows brings the concept of food sovereignty to life by
sharing the stories, insights, and images of the people who are putting it
into practice every day. We hear from Maori activists in New Zealand who are
resisting further colonization in the form of biopiracy of their native flora
and fauna, indigenous knowledge, and even their own DNA. We hear from
peasant leaders of Mali who are making up for the failure of the government
to regulate agricultural prices by creating their own system of locally
controlled reserves. We hear from community leaders of Venezuela and
Bolivia, where for the first time, peasants and indigenous peoples are at the
helm of a process of social transformation based on participatory democracy.
These stories, together with vivid images and historical context, form a
fascinating web of interconnections and commonalities that Nic Paget-Clarke
has masterfully woven together in this work.

  • [Livingontheland] "And The Echo Follows" Brings the Food Sovereignty Movement to Life, Tradingpost, 08/18/2011